Featured Lion claw dining table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ali p, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ali p

ali p New Member

Hey there folks, I would really love some opinions on this table. It was my Grandparents and as far as I know it was shipped to them from Scotland somewhere between 1910-1920. There used to be paperwork but unfortunately it was lost in a move and I never personally had the chance to read it. I have very little knowledge but the general thought is that it's rosewood, it stands 71cm high and the surface is 138cmx108cm.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Al feb 045.jpg feb 052.jpg feb 046.jpg feb 046.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Screams "quality" doesnt it ? Lovely .

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks more like walnut, or maybe elm. Would think mid to late 19th century but out of my realm of expertise as to style. Maybe Regency?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fine thing, that. Can you get some close ups of the wood? Looks to have some burr walnut in it amongst other things.

Ormolu edge by the look of it, and I suspect the column and feet were once gilded. I'd like to see underneath. First thought is early 19th C, which is what it screams to me.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

blooey, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I don't think rosewood, either. If it's from Scotland I'd say it dates to 1870-90, with 1880 a reasonable compromise. Could even be a bit earlier.

sabre123, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

My guess is late Regency breakfast table, mahogany, base looks like got rained on or got a bit wet maybe? Nice piece if you've got the room for it.

10. Ownedbybear

I'm wondering if it's tip tilt,hence wanting to see its underneath. And I agree on early 19th/late Regency.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This may not enhance what the type of wood is, enough.....with some TLC, I think this would be GORGEOUS!!!!

X3feb 046-edit.jpg

12. Ownedbybear

Imagine that as gilded as it was once.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted