Lions Den..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Torkel Oftedal, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Torkel Oftedal

Torkel Oftedal Well-Known Member

Hi my friends, the always curious Norwegian is back, this time with what i believe is a book support, on what may be a marble base and what i think is a casting of a lion on top. It has been with my family forever, but with both my mom and dad gone, there is no-one to ask the history and what it is. I even seem to remember we had two, but i have found only one. As it is packed down in boxes for now, i do not even have the measurement, but i will assume it is around 10 cm long- so it is a neat and not a massive item.
    Anyone who can give me a clue on what it is, and approx age, based on this scarce information?
    Wish you all a wonderful weekend! 2019-01-29 12.21.22-1.jpg 2019-01-29 12.21.29-1.jpg 2019-01-29 12.21.59-1.jpg 2019-01-29 12.21.40-1.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to be one of Thorvaldsen's several lion sculptures & not a Medici one. There are a lot of recumbent lions out there. Feel as though we have had something like this on a board before. Maybe a member with a functioning memory will find it.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Torkel Oftedal

Torkel Oftedal Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment here, you know, i sometime feel a bit silly for posting a small object like this - because, as you say, there is so many lion figures out there, in various shapes and forms. Like elephants and other beloved animals. I am happy for any comment- and yes, let us hope that someone may share some new knowledge of this. However, my friend, do not discredit your memory - i am sure it works very well - but who can cope with all this available information on the web?? It is wonderful, but this is what happens... :)

BoudiccaJones, i need help and judy like this.
  4. Bronwen

Torkel Oftedal, i need help and judy like this.
  5. Bronwen

The link in the earlier thread is now broken, but these are the Canova lions mentioned:

[​IMG]

i need help, judy and sabre123 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted