Litho prints--any information?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lynnie, May 26, 2018.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I just bought this portfolio at auction. It consists of a map of Comitatus Marchia et Ravensberg and five nice prints of various sites in Germany. The map measures 11"X14"--it's glued onto the heavy board backing of the portfolio cover. The prints measure 8"x6" These are all modern repros--I can see the dots with my loupe.

There is absolutely NO identifying information on the map as to the date of publication or the publisher; same with the prints, although each is identified by the name of the city in each and the name of the museum that owns them. Does anyone have any information? I want to list it, but I have no idea on this portfolio.

german1.jpg german2.jpg german3.jpg german5.jpg germna7.jpg german8.jpg german9.jpg german10a.jpg german11a.jpg

Attached Files:

Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a very nice portfolio, and I'm sure there will be some interest for it in both Germany and the Netherlands.
    The map is after an original from 1645 by Dutch cartographer Joan Blaeu. Joan is a man's name in this case, like Johan or John.
    The Blaeu map:
    [​IMG]

Comitatus Marchia et Ravensberg is Latin for the counties of Mark and Ravensberg, which are located in northwestern Germany.
    The other prints are of towns in that region.

For some reason they changed the colour of the Ravensberg crest from red to blue. It was red in Blaeu's day, and it is still red, according to the wiki page:
    [​IMG]
    The Mark crest is red and white blocks on a gold background, the way Blaeu depicted it:
    [​IMG]

Be sure to include the name Blaeu in your listing. Joan and his father Willem were the most famous cartographers of their day, and originals fetch high prices. Facsimiles are also in demand, although the colour change could be an issue for some.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

Thank you for your help. I just think it's odd that there is no identifying publisher information in the portfolio.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted