Little Blue & White Soup Spoons

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shwikman, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

After a fair bit of googling I’ve not really found anything that looks similar decoration wise….other than the shape and color of course. I also haven’t been able to find any with the little “stilt marks” (presumably) on the underside.
    They seem a bit lost without bowls but I’d love to find out more about them anyways!
    Thank You!
    3EFCD3EE-D956-41EB-8389-24B769D40CF3.jpeg BCBBE119-6FA6-4C6C-844C-AB6388112333.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Shwikman

I suspected they were Chinese and not Japanese(they were in a box with Japanese items). It seems like it’s a form that’s remained fairly unchanged
    ….for a few years anyway!

4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Last I was in Chinatown in Boston and New York, these were readily available in all the kitchenware shops. I assume what you are calling "stilt marks" are actually just the sloppy glazing particles - these are very cheaply made and cheaply sold.

komokwa, Shwikman and judy like this.
  5. Shwikman

Understood. Thank You Jeff!
    I assumed that because these marks were nearly identical to each other they were probably from what they were resting on during the firing process.
    I suppose if they’re new then it’s probably some automated process or something causing the blemishes.
    557E069A-C305-4D4E-AAF8-90B107927412.jpeg

KSW likes this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Those are stilt marks. Some factories don't use individual stilts, they line them up on large forms that act as stilts during the firing process.

Spoons with a hole on the end are hung during the firing process, so there are no stilt marks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Shwikman likes this.
  7. Shwikman

Makes sense, thank you!

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted