Featured Little Old Enameled Watch and Fob.......

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just digging around and curious if anyone can shed anymore light on this little non working watch!! Have had it around for MANY years just because I like it.....and I'm not sure, but don't really think the timepiece and fob started out life together.....Mom may have put them together......whatever, here 'tis for your perusal.....I don't see a date anywhere, I do see inside the back of the case says SWISS among other things and inside the watch workings I see a K......the green "stone" does NOT feel like plastic.... but then I also don't know what it is....maybe you 'stoners' or 'stonies' might have a better clue.....and can anyone put somewhat of an age on it???? AS ALWAYS, I am MOST appreciative of any and ALL help!!!!!!:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Watch3.jpg Watch4.jpg Watch5.jpg Watch6.jpg Watch7.jpg Watch8.jpg Watch9.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ladybranch and SBSVC like this.
  3. Aquitaine

WOW Bakers!!!!! Maaaaan, you have to have some GOOD EYES for that squiggle!!!!!! THANK YOU so MUCH!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

You're very welcome, Sue. :wideyed::)

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Googling "Argent dore" brings up tons of lovelies ! I would wear vests again just so I could sport this watch . :)

6. Bakersgma

Gold over silver, of course. Having trouble with the even tinier mark to the right. May have something to do with the gold content, but maybe not.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, Aquitaine, how pretty!

Bakers has done a great job on the metal. Hopefully, Dragonflywink will check in on the enamel.

8. Aquitaine

And in taking a WAG and looking up the name ARGENT DORE, it brings up some VERY similar .......oooooops.....Johnnycb just beat me to it!!!!! Wonder what it would/could cost to get it running..........hmmmmmmmm:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: THANK YOU TOO Johnnycb!!!!! Everyone that applies to!!!!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

And I'd still love to know if the 'stone' is anything or something manufactured back then!!!!!

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im guessing foil backed glass since the setting doesnt seem to be as fine as the watch .

11. Aquitaine

No foil backing......I've shown both sides.........top 2 images.....

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

There's mark on the loop of the fob (above the grapes and slightly left of center.)

13. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I especially like the plate.

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The green engine turning enamel is much like malachite. It is one of my favorite stones. Is the big green stone faceted on the back or just smooth?
    greg

yourturntoloveit and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma I used my microscope to get better images FWIW....if it helps any......the right image looks like it could be a cat, a beaver or a bird!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: Now I'll go look at the mark on the fob you saw.....

IMGonLFT.jpg

IMGonRT-1.jpg IMGonRT-2.jpg

IMGSAll3.jpg

16. Aquitaine

Hi Greg, Top two images......it's smooth (but scratched somewhat) on both sides.......And while I had my microscope out, here's a close-up of the stone in the fob.....

FobStone.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  17. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma ....here are the images of the fob loop......the dogs are identical on both sides, so is the loop pretty much so......nothing really there to speak of that I can see, but at least we looked, and thank you again!!!!!!!

FobLoop1.jpg

FobLoop2.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One shot of the fob makes it looks like what I'd call "dragon's egg" glass. I've seen it called Peking Glass too. The setting is probably gold-filled.

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Maybe this was said and I missed it.

Gold plated silver with Guilloche (sp) Enamel. Dates to early 1900s.

The watch fob is separate from the watch, and looks to be silver plated brass. I agree with evelyb that it is probably a piece of Peking Glass.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think everything has been covered by others. In my opinion the watch dates from around 1900, it has a Swiss barred cylinder movement with one glaring abnormailty.The barrel has a wolf's tooth winding wheel BUT no appaerent pawl. Wolf's toothe winding would be an abnormailty on such a pedestrian movement.

If you go to wind it up, does the spring simply flop back again when you release the winding stem? I cannot see where a pawl should be and is missing.

The marks are entirely normal and typical, the bird is a quail. Argent Dore is silver gilt.

The fob is in my opnion a few decades earlier, made from a filled gold casing, thicker than your normal rolled gold, way thicker than plate but worn through in a typical manner. The usual term for this is a swivel fob.

If the watch will wind, a little test will see if the balance swings, twist the watch in the plane of the movement and see if the balance swings, then apply a little pressure to the wound up winder and see if that provokes a tick or two. If it does, persist till it keeps on ticking, this may take half an hour of false starts. Warming the thing up in a pocket helps.

Most frequently the failure of old watches to work is simply gummed up springs in barrels, once loosened they stay loose if the watch is wound now and again. By putting pressure on the train you are providing a manual power supply that the spring is failng to provide. That tiny bit of movement can be enough to ungum the train.

Nowadays it is probably worth less than you are liable to be charged by some one competent to strip and clean it.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Ladybranch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted