Little Pottery Basketweave Pitcher - Looking for Clues to Origin

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Aug 15, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone - Happy weekend! I've got a little white pottery pitcher I'd like to know more about. It stands just 3 1/4" tall and has a little bit of cold paint decoration remaining. Bottom is unmarked. Any help as to country of possible origin or time frame would be much appreciated. Thanks much!
    Don

IMG_20150815_185631319.jpg IMG_20150815_185647936.jpg IMG_20150815_185707674.jpg

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Looks like white majolica

3. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Without a backstamp it will be awful hard to identify conclusively. From the photos the material looks more like porcelain than earthenware but its hard to tell

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, trip98, for mentioning white majolica - I never knew such an animal existed although it does make sense. Also thank you, rhiwfield. One of the areas I'm still trying to figure out is how to identify porcelain vs. earthenware vs. whiteware vs. bisque, etc. I really need to look around the web to see if there's an on-line course somewhere.
    Don

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks Austrian or German to me, 19th C.

clutteredcloset49 and dgbjwc like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted