little serpentine bowl help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Oct 17, 2020.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi folks

this little serpentine bowl (3" by 1 1/4) had a written label stating it was antique

was told from the lizard in cornwall, which seems to have pieces dating back to 19c

can anyone tell by the pics, and how it looks to have been made if thats a possibility or not

and what would it have been used for

its carved out fully internally, so the hole part is like a lip

any thoughts appreciated

bowl1.jpg bowl2.jpg bowl3.jpg bowl4.jpg bowl5.jpg

sabre123 and judy like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

i know my hands look like they would match what my profile pics would have, or that i might have appeared in time bandits, but i can assure you they are just at a funny angle:shame:

sabre123 likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

lol, I HAD to giggle at this, even though the phrase is foreign to me! :smuggrin:

Your hands look fine to me! Is it brown onyx?

4. antidiem

5. antidiem

Here it is, straight from the lizard in cornwall!

1.png

6. charlie cheswick

thanks for the info anti d, looks like the same stuff, he's quite talented that ian.......i mean...for a lizard :)

aaroncab, judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of this stuff, the best piece being a 8" high carved stylized Dolphin ...lands end lighthouses are commonly seen, also eggs, ashtrays and possibly yours ....could be a base for a table lighter, depends on the size, some of those round Ronsons might fit.

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so many variations. the value mostly lies in the artist when adorned with bronze figures or modelled and polished on individual request.
    one of the best known is Zöblitzer Serpentin from Saxony, that was used during Jugendstil era into art déco era.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=zöbl...mg&ei=yuGLX_D4Gtf4lwSx17_gBA&bih=535&biw=1184

https://denes-szy.com/produit/art-n...-stolbergsche-huettenamt-et-zoeblitz/?lang=fr

https://veryimportantlot.com/de/lot/view/jugendstil-serpentinschale-deutsch-zoblitzer-ser-47889

aaroncab, judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

thats a good shout blooey thanks

its the internal fully hollowed out part that i find interesting, cant work out how it would have been done like that and why for something so small

a7.jpg

aaroncab and judy like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Turned on a lathe, Charlie - a lot of these pieces are (like the lighthouses). I think the hollow and the base would have been done in a chuck like a faceplate.

Fid and charlie cheswick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted