Featured Little silver metal buttons - filigree? cannetille?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by quirkygirl, Dec 1, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

These were in a box of buttons I recently purchased. The thimble is there for size reference ... but just in case someone isn't familiar with the size of a thimble ... the buttons are roughly ½" or 1.3 cm in diameter. They're very delicate looking with tiers of tiny 'loops' of thin flat silver metal stacked up like a wedding cake ... topped with what looks like cannetille work.

They appear to be pretty old to me, but I could be wrong.

Familiar to anyone?

Thanks for looking! :)
    P1130404(1).JPG
    P1130405(1).JPG
    please ignore the glitter that is stuck to the shank of the one above - bought like that ... I meant to shoot one that was 'glitter free'
    P1130406(1).JPG P1130407(1).JPG P1130408(1).JPG P1130409(1).JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would think Victorian & European, from the days when you bought a button set separately & moved them from one garment to another. For a vest? I'm sure there must be some folks hooked on buttons here.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wow! Those are pretty cool!
    Looks like intensive work to make them.

kyratango, judy and quirkygirl like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first reaction is Turkish silver; the Turks have been doing similar work for centuries. A real expert may pop up.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if those aren't hand made......i don't know what is !!!
    Neato !

6. AntiqueAndy

AntiqueAndy Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful buttons, quirky.
    Those undecorated tube petals are not European or Ottoman, they would always decorate those with more filigree or engraving. I think these were made further East.
    Just for comparison, European (Dutch) buttons:
    [​IMG]

Ottoman crown ring from Bulgaria:
    upload_2017-12-2_11-12-25.jpeg

Palestinian button panel, incorporating different Armenian and Arab Ottoman styles:
    upload_2017-12-2_11-29-26.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  8. quirkygirl

Thank you, Bronwen. I didn't know people did that. I mean, I knew my own grandmother cut buttons from worn out clothes to re-use (both the buttons and the cloth) ... but thought that was because she was frugal and sewed most of her own clothes.
    I hope so!
    I see what you did there ^^^^ ;) :)

9. quirkygirl

Thanks! :) I did look at some Turkish silver buttons ... similar ... but I wasn't seeing this 'wedding cake' shape.

10. quirkygirl

Thank you, AJ. :)
    I was hoping you'd see this thread because I saw (online) some old buttons from the Netherlands that were the same general shape of mine (what I'm calling "wedding cake") ... but were much fancier looking. I hoped you would know if there was a Northern European connection or not.

So you say further east. I should look towards one of the Asian countries, then? Do you think these are currently made buttons?

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, always very fancy, and precise detailing. That would go for most places in Europe. Here are buttons from Sardinia, different models, but all very European:
    [​IMG]

Your buttons are gorgeous, but have a more 'ethnographic' feel.
    I think they are antique, made somewhere in the southern part of mainland Asia. I'd start looking from India to Thailand.
    Thailand usually has very intricate filigree, but there are also tribal people like the Hill Tribes, who have simpler metalwork. Their traditional clothing doesn't have buttons, but these could have been made for trade.
    These buttons are very unusual, and may have been commissioned by a European lady who lived in Asia, so chance is you'll never find out where they're from.

12. quirkygirl

Thanks again, AJ :) ... I'll search those areas.

Any Jewelry, judy and KingofThings like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Lady fingers cake?:)
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  14. quirkygirl

:)
    Preferable to diaper cake
    [​IMG]

15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

~
    What a sh***y deal to get one of those!
    ;)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Quirky....that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the button upright....Wedding Cake!!!! VERY neat!!!!!

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They turn up sometimes boxed, like men's dress studs or any other fine jewelry.

Draft saved Draft deleted