Little sterling forks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by smallaxe, Jul 19, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I have these two little forks I had put with plated stuff, and just realized they are marked sterling. At first I thought they had Birmingham hallmarks, but now I think they are American Gorham in the Pat. 1895 Chantilly pattern. I have a few questions about them.
    Are these more correctly called Pickle Forks, Coctail Forks, or something else (nevermind this question...I just found a website showing the Gorham catalog, and they called them Oyster forks)?
    Does the Gorham Chantilly ID seem right (they look a little different than later Chantilly)?
    Is it possible to know the year (it's likely no earlier than 1899 based on monogram and the owner's marriage date)?
    There are slight differences between these two (decoration detail and one has mostly flat tines, the other mostly rounded) although they seem to be the same pattern. Also, one says "H.O.Hurlburt & Sons" (a Philadelphia PA jeweler), and the other doesn't. Is one likely a replacement at a later date, or are pattern variations normal even when purchased as a set?

forks1.jpg forks2.jpg forks3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I may be wrong with this, but I believe the shape of the tines indicates pastry or dessert forks. For eating pie, cake, scones, stuff like that.

kyratango likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

mmm... pie!

Excellent for fattening the curves during these covid times

lovewrens, i need help and bercrystal like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Well, if they're about 5.5" long and assuming that your second was taken at an odd angle that makes the tines look too large, they are oyster/seafood forks in the Chantilly pattern, struck with different dies, the pattern produced from 1895 on, though yours most likely fairly early with those marks - with only one having a retailer's mark, they were likely acquired separately (sets were often assembled piecemeal)...

~Cheryl

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with shellfish forks, thanks, Cheryl.

smallaxe and Bronwen like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHAHA!!!! @blooey.....SADLY.....we don't need encouragement along those lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big-Orange 2-1.gif

lovewrens and blooey like this.
  7. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the confirmations and additional info on these forks.
    @DragonflyWink - yes, that photo was taken at an angle. They are almost exactly 5.5 inches in length. A straight on scan of the backs below.
    forks4.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted