Featured Little trick for improving look of a crazes/cracked opal!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kyratango, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Big one! 31 carats crystal opal
    29.6 by 18.2mm, 9.2mm depth.

Before:
    [​IMG]

after!
    [​IMG]

side before:
    [​IMG]

Side after:
    [​IMG]

Back before (no crazes but epoxy glue remains and chips...):
    [​IMG]

Back after, still has some chips, but not being a lapidary, I won't touch...:
    [​IMG]

SO, what was the trick???

OIL!!!:eek:;)
    Fill the cracks, using a cosmetic "dry" oil, in fact thinner than olive or other food oil...

I scraped carefully the glue remains, gave it a slight filing with my 4 steps nail buffer, then this huggie had its oil bathing for 2 hours.
    A tissue wipe then a rub and polish with insect wax (used on jadeite by the Chinese)...

Et voilà! :):woot:

I did it before on another piece, I only had to oil it again once a year:joyful:

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is a very pretty opal! Are the cracks natural?

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  3. kyratango

Thanks cxgirl:joyful:
    No, cracks/crazing occur either during the cut or polishing process or after, when the opal dries too much.
    From GIA.edu:
    "If an opal loses moisture, it can lead to crazing: a fine network of cracks that resembles a spider’s web. The moisture loss can be caused by heat or excessive dryness, or by exposure to bright light or direct sunlight. Crazing can be prevented by never displaying opals in places— such as window displays—where they’re exposed to these conditions."

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  4. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I soak my opals in glycerin, the reason for glycerin is that glycerin will conceal any fractures in opals because of its refractive index.

5. kyratango

Good to know, thanks! My "cosmetic" oil seems to act same way! Concealer!;)

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. kyratango

Thank you Hollyblue:)
    :bucktooth:Opticon isn't simple to use in your kitchen... it is for professional use;)
    For oil being the worst thing to do to an opal... I can't agree, the one I treated with oil 3 years ago is still in wonderful state:D
    I don't do anything to opals that are in good condition, and this one didn't risk more damages:rolleyes:

cxgirl and hamptonauction like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Opticon is as easy to use as any other 2 part epoxy.Put the opal in a small container,cover with opticon,place heat lamp above the opal to warm it,wipe off the resin,cover with hardener wait about 10 minuets and wipe excess hardener off.

9. tootie

tootie New Member

you need to store your opal in baby oil.

10. kyratango

Hum... First, I hate epoxy:banghead::facepalm:
    Second, what about the toxicity, the price, the vacuum needed to fill the cracks, and the heating of the opal at 250F(some speak of a oven or toaster :jawdrop:)
    See there Docktor comment:
    https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/curing-crazed-opal/28761/2

Sorry, I highly prefer my "little trick":p

cxgirl and hamptonauction like this.
  11. Hollyblue

The inexpensive gloves used when applying wood stain works well,the price of the Opticon is high if only trying to seal one stone.There is no need for a vacuum machine and 200 plus degrees, a 60 watt light bulb and 3-5 days curing time is all that is needed.Seems to work for thousands of hobbyist for the last 40 years.

Simple use from the distributor http://landainternational.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=911

12. kyratango

Why?:bucktooth: One application of oil once a year is only necessary if cracks re appear!
    Oiling don't prevent cracks or crazings, it only improve the look as shown in my pics:)
    Plus, how do you enjoy an opal stored bathing in oil....:joyful:

13. kyratango

Interesting! Thanks!
    I may consider invest in a kit if I get a bunch of crazed stones ;)

James Conrad likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it works on amber too; I find crazed old amber beads regularly. I like the look and leave them alone, but....

James Conrad likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Kyra, THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!:singing::singing::):):)

cxgirl, James Conrad and kyratango like this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Jeez, sounds like old furniture issues! Weird that sunlight causes cracks in stone. Good job on opal restoration!

kyratango likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Opals are finicky.

James Conrad and kyratango like this.
  18. Hollyblue

Sunlight itself won't cause cracks and natural heat won't either.The first opals found in Australia outback were on the surface for possibly hundreds of years without cracking.

kyratango likes this.
  19. Laura Mitchell

Laura Mitchell New Member

If any of your opal is from the United States itis a good idea to keep it submerged in water.

20. Hollyblue

Misconception caused by something someone without experience of the opals in question. Spencer opals can craze and it is the reason most are made into triplets.Virgin Valley opals are just as stable as Australian opals with no special treatment needed,they do well in hot sunny areas with no problems.

see link for info on Virgin Valley opals ... http://www.virginvalleyopal.com/cut...s__these_stones_have_all_been_displayed_i.htm

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted