Featured Little whistle

Discussion in 'Silver' started by smallaxe, May 1, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I have a small silver whistle, a little over an inch in length. I've found confusing information on the maker mark. I wonder if someone knows who made it, what country, and approximate date range. The marks are exceedingly tiny. I had to get an image by putting on my scanner at its highest resolution. They can't be made out with the naked eye. Maker appears to be C&T, .925 silver, and a triangle and C marks to the right. The maker I found was Clifford & Tull, London, but they seem to be 1970's and later, and I thought this whistle might be earlier than that.
    Whistle3s.jpg Whistle1c.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Figtree3, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's imported, that's what the triangle means, so C&T is more likely the import sponsor than the actual maker.

3. Bakersgma

4. smallaxe

In case this helps, this was owned by a person that lived on the east coast of the United States.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Don't know what help that information could provide. It was imported to Great Britain and assayed there. Do you think it was made in the US?

Christmasjoy and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. smallaxe

I don't know where it was made. I only know where it was owned. This is part of lots of family items. Some I've identified as US made. Some are made in Europe and retailed in the US. Some were purchased in Europe and brought back. So I can't really assume anything for the items whose marks I don't know.

7. Bakersgma

Okay. Then this was one of those things likely purchased in GB and brought back. Unfortunately there is nothing in the marking that hints at a specific maker location.

Figtree3, KSW, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like an old English police whistle.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Repro police whistle. As Bakers rightly says, British import marks. Someone bought a souvenir here.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's small! And a good idea to put it on a scanner at a high resolution to get the marks to show. Maybe we can suggest that to others as a possible way to get marks to show better.

Draft saved Draft deleted