LiveAuctioneers?

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by Atlantic Jim, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

Does anyone ever sell on live auctioneers? Hows that compare to ebay? especially for art or pottery <$400?

DizzyDaff, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

As I understand it, LiveAuctioneers is only an "accumulator" site, not an actual auction business. An individual seller cannot "join" LA in the same way that you can join eBay or Etsy. I suppose I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

KSW, Darkwing Manor, judy and 6 others like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

5. antidiem

Wow thanks, Kronos!

DizzyDaff, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

But you can subscribe as a user in order to see what "sold" prices were. I should say, you can sign up for free to do that.

KSW, Darkwing Manor, judy and 7 others like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You might look to see what auctioneers are in your area.
    Maybe consign to them.

DizzyDaff, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As part of that you can arrange to receive e-mail alerts when auctions are coming up with items in your particular area(s) of interest. As has already been said, they, like Invaluable, offer a service to auction houses, handling their Internet bidding.

KSW, Darkwing Manor, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought a Chinese vase from a local auction house and they sent me an invitation to bring my "fine antiques" for them to look at - as if I would part with them. I may take a modest piece to them to test the waters though.

10. antidiem

I've been reading that auction houses want expensive pieces. Like over 5k.

Guess it makes their commission more worthwhile.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Maybe the big and well known ones, but I go for the under $100 stuff, unless it is exceptional, so there are plenty who take more modest items.

KSW, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  12. antidiem

I don't think we have low dollar value auction houses around the New Orleans area? I've not found one. Anyone know of lesser auction houses in the deep south?

KSW likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Neal Auction
    4038 Magazine Street
    New Orleans, LA 70115
    United States
    Send MessageConsign Item
    seems to have some items that start at $200.

Here is the Find Auction Houses link. You will probably have to sign up but it's free.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/auctioneer/directory/

DizzyDaff likes this.
  14. antidiem

Thanks, Kiko. Yes they are the largest in the area I know of, although the last time I was at their place looking, nothing was under thousands, that was a long time ago. Still, I cannot recommend them. Thanks so much and thanks for the link to the find auction houses link.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Our gallery hosts our auctions on LA, and while there are some 3 figure works of art, sculpture and décor in our auctions, we use it mainly to promote and feature the blue chip pieces of fine art. The lower priced pieces help us attract a clientele for sure, but the blue chip fine art is our focus on LA.

DizzyDaff likes this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Then it's a pity that the auction houses (at least, those with lower-priced jewelry that I'm interested in) don't offer shipping services. They tell you to contact a local (to them) shipper that will pick up/pack/ship your win. That adds significantly to the price making bargain small item purchases impossible. :rolleyes:

antidiem likes this.
  17. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Right. 20%+ buyers premiums and exorbitant shipping costs can really deflate any sort of deal you might find. I've not had any problems using the third part shipping services so far though.

antidiem likes this.
  18. antidiem

edit

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

Is it feasible for a small seller to use it to move those $200-1000ish pieces to open to a more collector market than the average eBay searcher

antidiem likes this.
  20. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

The shipping challenge is real over LA. If a piece securely and safely fits in USPS Priority Mail, we ship it. Otherwise, from last auction, private collectors called Uber, and the dealers had their own staff to pick up so no new expense to a dealer who had already have a pickup and delivery team.

DizzyDaff and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted