Featured Lizard Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sarajayne, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Sarajayne

Sarajayne Well-Known Member

I'm sure the creature on here is a Salamander, but I thought Lizard was cuter. I showed it to a lady online several years ago and she emailed me it was in one of her books that said 1870-1920. A few days later I emailed her back and asked her what book and did it tell the maker. I emailed her for a couple of months until it said her email was closed.

If anyone has an idea of maker or era I would appreciate it. I know Moser made many Salamander pieces but he would laugh at this piece. It is 12" tall and 5 1/2" across the mouth.

SalamanderVase.jpg SalamanderVase1.jpg salamanderVase4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Sarajayne

OOOOPS, sorry about the bottom pic, that is one of the prettier places.
    SalamanderVase2.jpg

3. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

The description at this RubyLane link has some book info and then some educated guesses and/or speculation....Might help you get started....
    [​IMG]
    Rare Early Green Pressed Glass Salamander Pattern Vase
    [...]A clear glass version of this piece is pictured on page 169 of Edwards and Carwile's 1999, "Pressed Glass 1860 - 1930.". The maker is unknown, however the flora-form base is used on many pieces by Davidson (English), so the Davidson glass makers would be my best guess."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    tyeldom3, Joshua Brown and cxgirl like this.
  4. Sarajayne

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have that book.

Joshua Brown and lauragarnet like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Probably a good thing. From what I heard, a lot of his info is not always correct.
    In fact I think there is a website devoted to corrections for their Carnival book. Because of that I would double check everything from his books.

6. Sarajayne

I have heard that also.

Joshua Brown and lauragarnet like this.
  7. lauragarnet

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    tyeldom3 and Joshua Brown like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

9. lauragarnet

I hope someone out there has found an old catalog or ad by now and has discovered the glass house that made this vase!

Found the list of corrections for the book mentioned above. There are also volumes 2 and 3 since the first one came out in 1999.

GLASS - EAPG
    The Standard Encyclopedia of Pressed Glass 1860-1930 by Edwards & Carwile
    CORRECTIONS BOOK 1

http://www.patternglass.com/EdwardsCor.htm
    CORRECTIONS BOOK 2
    http://www.patternglass.com/EdwardsCor2.htm

If there's a page started for Book 3, I didn't see it.

tyeldom3 and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. Sarajayne

We will probably never know the maker. Maybe someone will like Lizards. Strange, some of them have two Lizards and some have two.

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  12. Sarajayne

WOW! I was thinking maybe $50!

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Just curious, is that a crack in the second photo or a glass trail?

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Sarajayne

I don't know what that is? The Vase is not cracked. I'll have to get it out and see but I know there is no damage.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted