Locking Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by R&B, May 19, 2019.

1. R&B

R&B New Member

My sister has this locking dresser, but, not we're sure how old it is. Has a piece of granite on the top. Just trying to get an idea of what it is worth. We think it belonged to our grandmother, so it could be about 75 years old.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, R&B! I think you're underestimating the age of this dresser by several decades at least.

We rarely estimate values here since there are so many variables that can affect what someone is willing to pay. But we can give you some pointers if we know a bit more about where you are, what venues you would consider using to market it, any experience with selling furniture you may have.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like an Eastlake walnut dresser with a marble top, ca. 1890. If you look on the back you're liable to see holes where a mirror would screw on. Not a lot of value these days, but worth keeping on aesthetics and build materials alone. Nice drawer hardware!

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Has some condition issues which will lower any value.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I might push it a decade or so earlier. Walnut with burl accents. The top is marble rather than granite. Agree that it is missing a mirror.

6. R&B

R&B New Member

Hello there and thank you for your response. We are located in St. Petersburg, FL and we're thinking about taking it to a local antique auction house. My sister said the dresser did have a mirror, but it was removed years ago, and she lost it in a move. We have not sold any other antique furniture, so we're apprehensive about selling this one.

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

then name your price and list it on CL......

judy likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This won't bring much at auction. Better to sell on your own.

komokwa likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lots of damage, an auction house won't get you very much.
    Better to put it on Craigs list or have a garage sale. The marble is worth about $75 here in CA. Dresser not so much.

upload_2019-5-21_8-59-54.png upload_2019-5-21_9-0-40.png

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am goin with cluttered on this one, victorian in great condition is not exactly hot at the moment and, in poor condition would almost have to pay someone to come get it here on east coast.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted