Featured Lohengrin, Wagner prelude music score

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jacqui, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Okay I have a music score from 1800s for the lohengrin wagner prelude, it’s a large hardback
    2F75335D-C635-4A4C-A5BF-DEE3F579DA64.jpeg 7609067A-57A6-4FE5-9335-3E35B2D90FD3.jpeg E589E34A-EF73-4687-BA0E-7ABE35C10185.jpeg
    Now I’ve never been able to find any other copy or anything similar does anyone know where I should look?

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

No, but do know where you can ask. Call the Library at whatever college/university is near you which has a good music program.

Or, try one in Germany.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's a good idea.

I did a WorldCat search and found several different editions cataloged with that publisher. You may need somebody well versed in musical bibliography to help with determining which one you have.

Here's the result of my search. I hope the link works:

https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti:einleitung+zum+dritten+akt+kw:lohengrin+au:Wagner&qt=advanced&dblist=638

The first two entries in the list have links to view other editions, and there are many.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Or, just ask Fig!

judy, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Figtree3

That's close to the extent of my knowledge level regarding musical scores. I've worked with real music librarians in the past and am well aware of their levels of expertise. They know a lot more than I do!

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

My husband is an opera fan to the extent of having a PhD in the subject (also, opera producer), so I asked him. Here is a short resume of what he replied in messenger. He says, it is a concert piece. It includes the introduction to the third act of Lohengrin. It doesn't say transcription, reaction or anything like, that, so we may assume was made by Wagner. The publisher is very old one, it is a an 18th century publisher. This concert version was taken directly from Wagner's full score. It is important to clarify that because in 19th C everybody where doing reductions and adaptations because they wanted to perform just in piano, or with smaller orchestras. Also, this book should come with other instrumental pieces - a collection of scores, aim to be performed by symphony orchestras

7. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Thankyou so much! It contains 7 operas in total all of which I think are the original partiturs the operas are
    Lohengrin

Tristan und Isokde

Meistersinger Von Hurnberg

DerRitt Dee malkuren

Trauermarsch

Huldigungs-Marsch

Siegfried-Idyll

It was owned by a e g Cuthbert f atchley from the inscription on the cover

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

My husband says, what a nice collection :)

9. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Thankyou and I really appreciate everyone’s efforts in helping me!! Xx

judy likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the interesting part is "Eigenthum der Verleger". property of editors.
    the story could hint towards a very early and rare print by Breitkopf & Härtel. seems before Wagner became godlike he was forced to sell his works to the editors including the rights to reprint. at some point they seem to have been at loggerheads about the money and separated.
    https://www.breitkopf.com/composer/1045

11. Figtree3

Interesting information under that link!

judy and Jacqui like this.
  12. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Hi I cannot Thankyou enough for all your help it’s got me motivated to delve into looking into this again, when I have more details I will let you know x

judy, Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  13. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Well I’ve been looking into it further and the plate numbers are quite exciting when I started taking a look, I don’t know if anyone knows a resource where I can look all of them up but these are the numbers
    18469bis

Jacqui x

judy likes this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that was certainly a good idea, but I doubt it that there's a list around.

judy likes this.
  15. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

I think you are right I’m having to look individually 93D4DF05-302C-4037-BD4D-94BD8A767A2C.png

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Jacqui likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted