Long necklace with green beads, need help dating.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wondered if anyone could fine a comparable piece to this. It might be as new as 1970's, or could be older. Also wondered what kind of beads/stones this had. They are not plastic for sure. Cold to the touch. The center stone has sort of a shimmer when put in direct light, see 4th photo. Last photo shows back of pendant. This just fits over the head, there is no latch. Thanks for taking a look. Hoping to find something comparable, was at a loss for key words to even begin the search. Thanks.
    green2.jpg green1b.jpg green3.jpg green4.jpg green5.jpg

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The beads look like what we called Peking glass from the 50s -60s. There may be another name for them now.
    Not necessarily used only in imported jewelry.

3. Lucille.b

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I vote Czech. I've some lovely necklaces with that glass and stamped metal. I think yours is older, given the length. 1930s.

artsfarm and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Lucille.b

I was starting to think the same looking at several other examples that were dated to the 30's. Thank you for taking a look, Bear.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome - and that length makes it far more saleable. Most of the ones I have are tiny.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

I'm feeling 1930s Czech also probably early-mid 30s as the fabrics got thinner and waistlines rose more toward normal by the mid-30s. The length complements 1920s/30s low-waisted Flapper-style clothing.
    While it's hard to tell without seeing it in person, the round beads look a bit like Chrysoprase, which was sometimes used during that period. The center stone looks like either Larimar or a good quality art glass. Gorgeous!

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Thank you, Artsfarm That is very helpful information! :)

artsfarm likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This style was reproduced somewhat in the 60s-70s, but certainly not with this fine detail so I vote for 30s as well. Gorgeous.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted