Long open weave curtains - what do you call this?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got three curtain panels the other day. They are all pleated, with the metal pleat holders sewn in :mad:. Each panel measures 44" wide at the top, 120" wide at the bottom, and 100" long.
    What I'd like to know is what you call this fabric? I know it's machine made, but it looks like drawn work. I believe it is cotton. I haven't been able to find any similar curtains online. They are quite spectacular.

smallDSCN2698.JPG

smallDSCN2695.JPG

smallDSCN2696.JPG

smallDSCN2697.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

This isn't going to help you, but my grandmother had something similar that was hung over her other set of heavier curtains in the living room.
    Hope someone has some better info.

i need help and judy like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Something cats would LOVE??????????????:joyful::joyful:

evelyb30, NewEngland, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

pearlsblume - were they velvet?

Judy - it is an open weave, but the fishnet weaves look like they're parallel threads to me.

Aqui - I already had to shoo one away who decided to take a nap on the bottom of the panel pooling on the kitchen floor.

judy likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi Book, I don't think so, but they were heavy. She used to pull back the heavy ones in the summer and the ones similar to yours were used to let in some light.

judy likes this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @Bookahtoo ,
    I guess I'd have to say that they are a "sort of" drawn work. As the finished product does resemble such. It is more than likely, machine made though; so it is subjective as to what you want to call it. The fact that there are continuous horizontal and vertical threads that run the length and width of the piece and that the diamonds appear to be woven, would be appropriate to drawn work construction - machine made or hand made.

From the 70's?

Leslie

judy likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Thank you Leslie. I guess if I sold them online I could put "drawn work" in the title and then explain in the description that the fabric is machine made. Thank you for your help. :)

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @Bookahtoo - Sounds perfect! Glad to help!

Leslie... over and out for awhile...at fam reunion...isolated spot. Wish us luck!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Good luck and have fun!

Draft saved Draft deleted