Featured Longshot glass ID in auction. Welz? Kralik?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Looking through the online catalogue for an area auction, I saw this picture. The orange shell vase(?) on the bottom left is ringing bells for me but I can't place it. I'm thinking Welz or Kralik. Anybody Know? TIA.
    shell.jpg

komokwa, cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Bdigger

Looking online Kralik seems to be closest, but no exact match. This is the only picture of it.....I ASSUME there are legs underneath for it to rest on. I have to wonder if it's not just a Fenton piece or something imitating Kralik style.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is a Fenton piece.
    The bowl the cranberry opalescent hobnail is sitting in looks like Fostoria.
    The cobalt piece might and I stress might be an Orefors or Kosta votive from the early 1990s.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Agree with cluttered - the cobalt piece may be Orrefors or Kosta, perhaps an atoll dish.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Bdigger

Thank you for the insights Pat and Ascot! I appreciate your input!

The bowl the cranberry vase is sitting in I am pretty sure is Fostoria heirloom. The cranberry piece I bet is fenton as is the shoe. The cobalt piece I agree is Kosta or orrefors, The Orange vase has me stumped though.

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bdigger, I looked around a bit & couldn't find anything quite like the orange vase in your photo.

(Do you recall this thread about Kralik seashell vases?
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/bohemian-art-glass-seashell-vases-from-kralik.622/
    I didn't, until I encountered it in my search...)

Anyway, if that orange vase doesn't have a foot of some sort, I'm wondering if maybe it fit into some sort of a ring (or similar) either to sit on a flat surface or to hang on a wall?

Whatever it may be, it does seem quite lovely!

cxgirl likes this.
  7. Bdigger

SBSVC Thank you for looking and finding the thread about the shell vases. I had forgotten about it too.

I was also thinking that it might be made to sit in a stand of some sort. From what I can tell from the picture, the very tip seems to be unpolished, which might mean it was meant to go into some sort of holder. It's hard to tell from the lone picture.

To me, it seems to outclass the other pieces in the picture. BWDIK. Thanks again!

SBSVC likes this.
  8. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

You didn't ask about the white piece, in case you care, it's Fostoria Heirloom

9. Bdigger

Thank you msgood! Always good to confirm a suspicion!

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

11. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I have looked at it a few times already today. Welz is out for sure. The colour doesnt seem right for Kralik either. Loetz also had a shell type offering, but I dont think this is Loetz either.

With that said, there is some other contemporary glass artists in Czechosovakia that do work in the style of Loetz and Kralik. My first thought was one of them (Igor Muller is one of the more well known and there are others)

I'm going to cross post this pic and see if it rings any bells for anybody

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  12. desperate_fun

Well so far a couple of Gurus are leaning towards Muller or another contemporary.

I found a Muller signature online. If the piece at auction is signed, you can compare.

71789-07.jpg

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  13. Bdigger

I will check for a Siggy when I get a chance to see the piece in person!

Thank you Desperate fun! Appreciate you going thru all that trouble to help me out! Thanks to all that replied! You guys are the BEST!

desperate_fun and cxgirl like this.
  14. desperate_fun

Bdigger,

I enjoy helping out when I can. It gives me an opportunity to learn even more myself (I'll admit I know very little LOL)

Draft saved Draft deleted