Longwy Pottery Carved Stand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Christopher, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

I recently came across this piece of Longwy pottery on a rosewood base. I can't seem to find other examples of Longwy with rosewood bases and am wondering if it was originally sold with the bowl or was a later addition. I would automatically think it was a separate, later addition except for the fact that it fits so perfectly and the designs seem to compliment each other so well. 20161106_163627.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like a stand for one of those Chinese fishbowl type planters. Yes, they look fine together, but the stand is all rectangles, and the bowl is curves.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe it's just me but the stand looks a little too small in diameter to my eye but still very attractive together.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is the bowl marked Longwy on the bottom?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a happy marriage,they look fine together!

6. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Here in France we are awash with Longwy reproduction pottery, probably from the east.(I am not saying yours is repro) The oriental stand looks really odd with that. Is it superglued on?

7. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

The raised portion of the stand fits almost perfectly inside the foot of the bowl. Either way I think it makes a lovely match
    20161106_164232.jpg 20161106_164322.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

We have a box full of older oriental stands to marry up with oriental vases or bowls. I think the D188 is the pattern no. It is up to thetaste of the owner as to whether or not you marry 2 odd things up (thats what marriages are all about)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've seen way worse stands than that one !!

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think they look ok together, especially since the stand sits inside the base so it won't fall off!

Draft saved Draft deleted