Featured Look What Someone Did to a 14k Gold Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tie.dye.cat, Jul 24, 2016.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

This picture is from the auction listing...I wish I had taken a "before" picture when I got it in the mail.

s-l1600.jpg

They glued a ring of blue and clear rhinestones onto it. Glue everywhere on the ring of rhinestones.

Here's the after....

s-l1600a.jpg

2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It never fails to amaze me what people do to lovely objects.

I recently bought a victorian leather "Lady's Companion" Someone had actually glued the thread box in, It completely ruined it trying to get it back out.
    Fortunately I was able to re-cover it with victorian "leather" and now you wouldn't know, Beats me why people do such things.

tie.dye.cat and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Asses full of dumb.

Aquitaine and tie.dye.cat like this.
  4. Poisonivy

I get really annoyed when I find things like that, I always think that if people don't know what they're doing then they should leave them alone.

cxgirl, tie.dye.cat and KingofThings like this.
  5. Poisonivy

You did well to clean it up, Its beautiful.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I hate it too, but I have restored some beautiful pieces that people played with. I had a wonderful piece of extremely rare Fiesta that someone "tarted" with. It was an onion covered soup bowl that someone covered with fake pearls and rhinestones to make a "fancy" jewelry casket. As I was soaking them off I kept praying that it was not repaired or cracked. It wasn't and my 10 cent item became a wonderful 200 dollar thing. Should have held on to it since they were going for 500 later on. My other one was a St Clair paperweight which was covered with glitter and a plastic unicorn glued on top.
    greg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

tastes change over time....and still...some have no taste at all.....

nice brooch.......after....not before ! :)

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  8. Poisonivy

That true, There is an upside to getting items people have "improved", They are often cheaper and if you're handy at restoring then you can make them nice again.
    I actually like restoring and I'm always on the look out for a project.

lloyd249 and tie.dye.cat like this.
  9. tie.dye.cat

All I can guess is that someone didn't realize it was gold when they started "crafting" with it. But it's clearly marked on the clasp, so I don't know what their excuse is about that!

Anyway, their loss is most certainly my gain!

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

Looking at my closeup of the "after", I can still see a spot or two of glue that I'll need to pick out. Oy.

11. Poisonivy

It certainly is, It just makes your day when something like that happens doesn't it.

12. Poisonivy

You sound like me lol, I can't stop until I get something perfect again.

Aquitaine, SeaGoat and tie.dye.cat like this.
  13. tie.dye.cat

Well with that zoom function they have on ebay, I don't want anyone seeing a discolored spot and thinking something's wrong with it. :)

14. tie.dye.cat

Yeah, the funny thing is that I bought the lot because one of the other brooches looked like it might be gold. That one wasn't, but this one was. :p

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Poisonivy

Your lucky day.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's a really pretty thing and thank goodness you rescued it!

17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Tie.die -
    I was going to comment like greg and I see now yourself.
    Sometimes it is to our benefit that things get decorated.

In my case it was a small Roseville Foxglove Shell vase that was painted gold. Marked 1.00 at a garage sale. Cleaned up and sold for over $200.

18. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I must admit myself, I've ruined some pieces in the past in my bouts of creativity and boredom.

My advice to people is: never buy an item unless you really like it in its original form. If you feel like it needs a severe makeover, maybe it's a sign the item is not for you.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  19. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I have a Bohemian garnet owl brooch set in 14k+ yellow gold that someone glued a modern pendant converter onto the pin stem and the back. I guess they didn't like that it was top heavy with the converter. Took me 3 days to slowly remove the liquid cement or whatever they used, what a mess. It was even inside the rollover clasp.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone out there who bemoans the "ruining" of lovely items by prior owners.

At the same time, however, I have to believe that if someone OWNS something, he/she is entitled to do with it as he/she pleases, you know?

It's like the "destruction" of my childhood home (that I was lamenting here not all that long ago...) The folks who own it ARE entitled to do with it as they please, however AWFUL I may think it looks!

As for tie.dye's lovely pin, YES, it seems ridiculous that someone glued on those gaudy rhinestones, but maybe - just maybe - the added "glitz" simply made somebody's day!

As someone up there ^^ surely said, there's no accounting for taste!

-C-

Draft saved Draft deleted