Looking for clues

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sigune, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Sigune

Sigune New Member

Hi there
    I am wondering if anyone can tell me about this clock. I cant find any markings apart from the SRFA on the top and a few numbers etched into the bottom.

I was wondering if the numbers on the bottom are from it being pawned...?

It belonged to my late mother in law. I am clearing out so much of her stuff and want to make sure I keep the important bits for the children.

Any ideas or thoughts very welcome!

P.S. It's been hard uploading images...I have more if needs be, but i have to resize them.

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Needs definitely be.

Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  3. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about clocks. Curious, what does SRFA mean? If I google SRFA brass, I get similar clocks coming up and made in France.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What ever it is - the feet are brass plated, and the scratched in numbers ?/15 indicate it was repaired.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  5. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

The hand engraved numbers on the bottom indicate repairs as noted by clutter. SRFA indicates a setting option for slow(retarde) fast (advance) located on the movement to indicate a method of some slight time correction if the clock is running to fast or too slow.

I am willing to bet this is a little generic French carriage clock but you need to post pictures of the entire clock.

6. Sigune

Sigune New Member

7. Sigune

Sigune New Member

Thanks for your thoughts... I couldn't figure out how to make the pics small enough before!

judy likes this.
  8. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

@afantiques is the person who could tell you more about it. I am a bit of a one trick pony and know American clocks better. It is a style referred to as a Carriage Clock though!

judy likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be a relatively modern French carriage timepiece (technically, not a clock since it does not strike), a little more decorative than basic examples. I'd need to see the escapement on the top under the glass panel to confirm it is mid to late 20th C. It is gold plated brass, not brass plated. It is decorative rather than collectable. It is one of the few types of mechanical clocks still made to a good standard quality.

Photo tips. Never take a picture into the light, ensure the light is behind you to illuminate the object. Always open glass covers such as the back door before photographing whatever is behind them. Unless the picture is of professional quality, huge picture files usually mean the full size picture is just a huge blurry image that shows no more detail than a modestly sized image. For the internet 200KB image files are quite big enough. Your camera may produce 4 MB images but unless they are taken with meticulous skill this level of possible detail and resolution is utterly wasted, the equipment has far outreached the skills of the average user.

PS It is a good idea to @ mention me, i would have skipped this post as it does not have a clock or watch or silver title, I tend to skim through new posts looking for subjects I know something about.

10. Sigune

Sigune New Member

Thank you for the tips @afantiques. I'm curious what relatively modern means in this context..Do you have a rough idea of its age?

Here are a couple of other photos. Not sure if I have managed to take a photos of the escapement on the top... IMG_1136.jpg IMG_1137.jpg

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I can see enough to see it is not an antique. To me, relatively modern means second half of the 20th C., could be 1970s. The period for antique carriage clocks would be about 1850 to WW1.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's still lovely & if she cherished it...it may be worth more to keep it in the family....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like the face....the circled numbers are a nice touch..

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted