Looking for date on amateur 1940's Rotterdam footage

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Requiem, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member

I have got two amateur 8mm recordings taken in the Netherlands, after the Rotterdam bombardment.

Two large reels with what appear to be mostly a school trip to the country side.

At the start of one reel you can see ruins and rubble at Rotterdam.

I wish to know if this footage was taken during or shortly after the war.

Eventually these recordings will be published on YouTube in full. But prior to that I prefer to know an approximate date.

Several stills below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Appear to be late 1940s or early 1950s. (Giveaway are the skirt lengths and swing coats.) It would be helpful if you could post additional photographs with women's clothing.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Requiem

I've asked a facebook group concerned with Occupied Rotterdam, and after talking and reading we've narrowed this film down to have been shot in occupied Rotterdam and likely Netherlands.

The rubble seen in the film was cleared rather quickly, within 1940. So it was likely shot within the first months if not weeks after bombardment.

Making these uncanny snapshots.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Funny, I would have thought that by the folks demeanor....it would have been at Wars end !

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't see any German uniforms. and the boyscouts - especially the one with the hat - don't look as if they belong to a German or Nazi organisation. so I go for shortly after the end of occupation; also because open filming would not have been allowed by the Germans.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Requiem

Reel 2.

Maybe this will shed some more light:

Draft saved Draft deleted