Looking for help w/ country of origin and approx. age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jsnggltt, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

My experience with ceramics is very limited. Without a signature or mark my ability to identify country of origin and approximate age is remedial. I've run a key word and reverse image search but I haven't found any real leads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_E5988.jpg
    IMG_E5990.JPG
    IMG_E5992.JPG
    IMG_E5989.jpg
    Height: 12" Mouth Cir: 10.5" Shoulder Cir: 29" Foot Cir: 15.5" Weight: 9lbs

Thank you,

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice vase......at least the crackle looks honest so I can't say new Chinese off the bat.
    Wait for the potties to show up.... for a better take on your treasure ! :):)

aaroncab likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I vote Korea.

jsnggltt likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What type of flowers are those, @Ownedbybear ?

jsnggltt likes this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

OBB, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a thistle.
    Patd

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Stylised chrysanthemum. Have a look at the leaf.

patd8643, Figtree3 and jsnggltt like this.
  7. jsnggltt

I like Korea for similarity of shape but don’t see anything with such pronounced embossing.

I have found several pieces attributed to Longquan that have similar levels of embossing but they seem much older than this piece to me.

Thank you for “Chrysanthemum” I couldn’t place the flower (looked like papyrus to me)

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I do flowers. ;)

SBSVC, jsnggltt, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would also say Korea or China. The rim looks like a newer style to me, though, and what we can see of the interior is very clean. The base is very clean, too. I never trust anything with those stuck on pads, but I guess some people might put them on antiques.

aaroncab, jsnggltt and Figtree3 like this.
  10. jsnggltt

I agree with you about how clean it is and honestly I don't know that it is an antique, but it doesn't "feel" like a new vase.

For one thing the weight is off for a reproduction. For another the crackle and the imperfections in the glaze don't have that "made for export" schmaltz to them.

Obviously that doesn't prove anything, but it does point to a higher quality reproduction and that makes me think I should be able to find examples of other "like reproductions"

I don't understand what you mean about the rim being a newer style. It seems very much like a Meiping variation. Please understand I'm not claiming it's a Meiping, I'm just wondering what you mean.

i need help likes this.
  11. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

It feels like a newer reproduction of Chinese vase.

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted