looking for help with vintage fireplace surround

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Diehl49, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Diehl49

Diehl49 New Member

Hi there
    need help identifying this vintage fireplace surround. it has a cartouche of cherubs playing instruments and singing.also has flowers and lots of i believe to be plaster leaves. it also has a rope pattern around edge.it looks to be made of wood and plaster.also has a mirror backing.any help appreciated.Thanks[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When it comes to the central medallion, we had some discussion about similar imagery on this silver box.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Diehl.

Maybe if you give a little history of the surround it will jog somebody's memory? For example, was this in your house when you moved in, Or did you buy it and bring it in? Also, where are you located? This site has members from all over the world, and sometimes location makes a difference.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that context is important. Also, a look at the back might help. You mention mirror backing. Is it behind the grillwork?

i need help, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Diehl49

Diehl49 New Member

This piece was just recently purchased by me from a consignment shop in my town.I am in Massachusetts. It looks French to me and would make sense because we have an old section of town that was called French Hill.The consignment owner also buys estates and this could of come from that area.the mirror is behind all the decorations on front and has a piece of wood covering over it on the back.there is a tag that would of helped immensely but is not legible as can be seen in this pic.Thanks for the help[​IMG]

i need help and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but is not legible
    never stopped us before.....
    get a closer shot....of the letters that r there...

i need help and judy like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

We have something similar in our living room, but a bit less ornate. This house was built in the 1920s,(England) and I think your surround may be of a similar age.

judy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can't see much. Nothing of what I can see looks like it's in the French language. The hill may have been named for a family named French.

upload_2018-8-8_15-54-16.png

komokwa and i need help like this.
  9. Diehl49

Diehl49 New Member

the hill was named after its very large French-Canadian population.there are still remnants of it today.there is still the giant French church and some of the other generations still live there.it was basically 12 streets labeled one thru twelve.the label looks like a custom job. it looks very similiar to other paintings I have with a label that tells the company who made it with customer name and style.this label looks like paint stripper got on it.I will try to take a closer pic of it.Thanks for all the help!! I appreciate it

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The first line of the label ends with "Arts, Inc." So it's written in English. Can't see more than a few letters here and there of the rest. It is a very attractive fireplace surround.

i need help, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The label's fonts appear to be post-World War II. 1960s-ish to my eye.

Debora

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    i need help and komokwa like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think I see Homer Sts.
    There is a Homer St. in New Bedford.

13. Diehl49

Diehl49 New Member

I think that line says customer no.

i need help likes this.
  14. verybrad

My original thought was 20s-30s but that label makes me think later (50s-60s). Would like to see the entire back.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  15. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Trying to shed some light..

5DF1B187-9FBD-426C-A9C8-4A6A50141BED.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  16. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Diehl49

Diehl49 New Member

here are more pics of the back and tag[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. verybrad

Thanks for the pics. Not a lot of care in constructing this …. looks much better from the front than the back. Think probably post-WWII some time.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted