Looking for ID on Unusual Composite & Sterling Beads Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Hello Helpful Friends,

I have this necklace of sterling, tigers eye quartz and what I am calling “composite” beads of two styles. I am trying to ID country of origin and the mystery bead materials.

The large drum beads are curved panels of light tan organic matter, fitted together. I see some transparency in spots, don’t know if it’s the “bonding material” or part of the organic matter. There are lengthwise cream-color wavy growth lines, and an appearance of hollow tubules at the ends with magnification. Can’t explain the dramatic dark brown squiggles. The beads are light for size, may be hollow.

The saucer or disk beads are deeper yellow with russet, tan, brown and black markings. I did a hot pin test on one and it barely pierced the surface; these are too warm, too soft and too light to be any kind of stone. I’m thinking hand-made.

The silver color beads are all sterling as is the sleek push-clasp which is out-of-character with the design. It is marked “Sterling” but nothing else is. The silver beads suggest the Middle East to me.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

KSW and patd8643 like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wondering if central beads might be tagua nut?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Curioser

They are darker and more dramatically patterned than tagua I see online and unless tagua is VERY large you couldn't carve 1 1/2" long panels and form them into these barrels. The barrels are about 1 5/8" long and 1 1/8" diameter. I appreciate the input!

KSW, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The large beads are "spongy or cancellous tissue" bone.

KSW, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. Curioser

Thank you! Oh my! They are dyed, I assume? IS there a more trade-popular term for them? Are they contemporary, do you think? What country/countries use them? Do the silver beads suggest the place of origin?

KSW, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bone would be a good keyword...

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just for in the future: it is NEVER a good idea to do a hot pin test on anything!!!!!

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but folks still do......I guess it's like an urban legend..:inpain:

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

More like India. Did you test the silver content?
    It looks like a home made necklace, with one of those ready-made 'sterling' tags. Whoever made it did a good job, it is a nicely balanced design.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted