Featured Looking for info about Fenton Waterlily and Cattails bowl and plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Zephyr, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I just want to ask if any of you have information about the value of these two Fenton pieces in the Waterlily and Cattails pattern (see attachments). I have looked for the value of both and I can't find anything online or in books about this color. The ruffled bowl measures approx 9" and the plate 10" and the color is amethyst or lavender with opalescent finish... I don't know how to identify the color. I will appreciate any help.

FWC Plate.jpg
    FWC Ruffled Bowl.jpg Fenton Waterlily Cattails.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Going on memory
    Think the waterlily was an early pattern that was later reissued.

The opalescent amethyst I believe was an original color. Don't remember if that was redone as well.

What do the bottom of the bowls look like? Any wear?

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

The bowl has a very fine line crossing the waterlily at its base but I don't know if its a line of wear or mold marks. The plate has no wear marks. I attached some pictures of them.
    FWC Bowl Base.jpg

Plate base
    FWC Plate Base.jpg

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Both bowls have the look of older Fenton. One of my books on older Fenton states 1906 - 1912, but I don't know about later dates. My experience with them is that the value is meh, middle of the road. They don't get any points for being older because this isn't the type of glass Fenton collectors clamor for. In looking at Worthpoint, this pattern in amethyst opalescent bowls sells in the $20-$25 range. It used to be higher ($35-$50), but glassware values in general have gone down lately. I think the color is very nice and there are purple fans out there. I like the green, but the canary yellow sells best (at least where I am).

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

There's one listed on Etsy right now, like your fluted bowl, for $79 which I think is a stretch. I doubt you could get that on ebay.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Thanks for the info. How much is the value of the green and the canary yellow where you are? That pattern must be beautiful in canary yellow, I need to search photos to see it.

judy likes this.
  8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Thanks, I'll check the reference.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I saw that one on Etsy days ago and today I found one like mine on Ebay for $ 55 but I saw others in $20-$25 at Ebay too.

judy likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The newer pieces were marked I believe. I agree it's the older version. The newer versions weren't as nicely finished (note the edge treatments). Not particularly rare which partly explains the low prices. Ola gave you a very realistic opinion on values. I don't really understand Fenton collectors. Many very nice older pieces languish while spirited bidding takes place for over painted animals which fall more under the category of kitsch than art glass.
    Don

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Yes, the edges are nicely finished. Thanks for your comment. I'm new to carnival glass and I'm learning from books, websites and the experience of others. So far the pieces that I have don't have much value but they are beautiful. Maybe for other collectors with more experience the value is more important but I enjoy looking a piece with a well-designed pattern in a color that I like ... the value is a plus for me. For example: Yesterday I went to an antique shop and found a Fenton bowl in the Dragon and Lotus pattern. Color? marigold and I know that it's the color that has less value but I saw it so beautiful that I had to take it with me :joyful:

judy likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean. Yesterday at auction there was a Fenton Orange Tree Three-Footed bowl in marigold carnival. Even with damage to the feet, and the fact that I don't collect carnival, I was tempted to bid. Most true collectors don't concern themselves overly much with value. It's always nice to get a piece at a bargain price but there's nothing wrong with paying a premium for a piece you like. And no one knows what prices will be tomorrow. Once you're around look enough you'll see that tastes change and fads come and go. What is popular today falls out of favor and old pieces no one wants are now suddenly in demand.
    Don

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Yes, that it's true! Thanks for your advice :)

dgbjwc likes this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Saw your post and thought, "did I say yellow?" Yes, I did. But I don't think this pattern was made in yellow. I think I meant to say white. Don't really know because white is the least valuable and the least popular. Sorry for the mis-info.

Zephyr likes this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

According to my early Fenton book (Whitmyer) the original colors were Crystal Opalescent, Green Opalescent, Blue Opalescent, and Amethyst Opalescent.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

No problem ;)

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Nice! I have one of the original colors :happy: Talking about books ... some recommendation for a beginner like me?:bookworm: I have the Standard Encyclopedia of Carnival Glass 12th Edition by Mike Carwile and one pocket guide with prices (Clements - Schiffer book) but this one doesn't have many patterns.

18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This is the definitive site for carnival glass, maybe better than a book. http://ddoty.com

Are you referring to your bowls above as carnival glass? It isn't really. It's opalescent glass, and that's a different book. Although a lot of opalescent patterns were also made in carnival glass. I sometimes look on Doty's site when I suspect that might be the case, just to find the pattern name.

Zephyr likes this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Be sure to google Corrections for the Carwile books.
    There are a lot of errors.

DDoty is much more reliable.

Zephyr and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It depends on how large you want your library to be and what glass you decide to specialize in.

For Indiana Glass I use "A Century of Indiana Glass" by Craig Schenning.

For Early American Pattern Glass I use "Early American Pattern Glass" by Reilly and Jenks and "The Collector's Encyclopedia of Pattern Glass" by McCain. Also use the EAPGS.org site to confirm identifications as that site updates whenever new documentation surfaces.

For Opalescent Glass I use "Standard Encyclopedia of Opalescent Glass" by Edwards and Carwile.

For Carnival Glass I use the Carwile book you've already mentioned. I always check the information I find there on the ddoty.com website. I usually use the Carwile book first because it's easier for me to make an initial ID using the pictures shown there.

There are a lot of books on Fenton but I find I usually use the books published by the Whitmyers. If you are looking at mid-century Fenton the John Walk books are also very helpful.

Cluttered makes an excellent point. I always try to double and triple check my IDs if possible either on-line or through another book. When I get stuck I come here. The items I don't keep I sell on eBay and I hate to put up an item with an incorrect attribution.

To build my library I basically bought any glass, pottery, or china book I could find at a cheap price. I did pick up a few useless books along the way but eventually I found enough books to build a decent library. Any book mentioned here on the board I usually scope out to see if I can find it reasonably priced to add to my stash. Many books can be found second hand on eBay or Amazon often far below their original publication price.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted