Featured Looking for info about trousse

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AntiqueGuy007, Aug 3, 2019.

1. AntiqueGuy007

AntiqueGuy007 New Member

Came across this recently and was having difficulty finding definative information. Was told it's bone. IMG_20190803_180531.jpg IMG_20190803_180537.jpg IMG_20190803_180542.jpg IMG_20190803_180613.jpg IMG_20190803_180618.jpg

mmarco102, judy, Any Jewelry and 8 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup..it's bone......nice design....
    good loking blade too....

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Seriously nice piece of kit you've got there.:)

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. komokwa

i'd expect to see more wear if it were an older piece...

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's a fake! Hand it over, and I'll make sure it's properly disposed of.

Into my collection :p

Bronwen, judy and Jivvy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, bone, and Chinese. Looking at the style and execution of the decoration maybe 20-30 yrs old.

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one who had to look up the word Trousse? So this holds 2 chop sticks and a letter opener? Two chop sticks and a device for personal protection? Why does the letter opener have such a different design on the handle from the trousse? Really nice item especially since I've never seen one before. Would this be worn on a belt, in a pocket, in a briefcase?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's a knife for eating your dinner with.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. komokwa

the knife is for cutting...the chop sticks are for eating..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The knife is for cutting your food.
    The chopsticks are for personal defense. Aim for the eyes.:eek:
    (sorry, couldn't resist)

Jivvy, komokwa, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  11. AntiqueGuy007

AntiqueGuy007 New Member

Interesting. The hairstyles of the women made me think Japanese maybe but I'm not very familiar with Asian art styles. I would have thought it was a little older. It seems lightly used (The staining on the chopsticks) and it hadn't been used since the previous owner bought it probably 20 years ago.

komokwa likes this.
  12. AntiqueGuy007

AntiqueGuy007 New Member

From what I've found it would go onto a belt. There's a little loop near the top that would be used to hook it on. I didn't notice the different style of the knife until you just pointed it out. It's the only color art on the entire thing.

13. komokwa

upload_2019-8-4_19-19-56.jpeg
    chinese and older..

the ring hooks to a lanyard for folding over a belt..

upload_2019-8-4_19-21-39.jpeg upload_2019-8-4_19-24-7.jpeg upload_2019-8-4_19-24-58.jpeg

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The style of the trousse, the shape of the chopsticks and the hairstyle and dress of the women are all Chinese. The slightly Western faces of the women means the carving has no great age.
    Chinese love antiques and they love to make objects look antique. Staining bone and ivory with tea or other yellowing/darkening concoctions is traditional in China. It is still being done. However, the Western style of the faces is a giveaway.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted