Looking for Info on a Painting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Erika Ingram, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Erika Ingram

Erika Ingram New Member

Greetings!

I have a painting that I got from my father who got from my grandmother who never told us where it’s from. I’m looking for any information on it. I attempted a google search for some identifiers on the painting and this is where I ended up. Any assistance is appreciated!

It is a water colour painting, I’m pretty positive there’s a water mark in the bottom right corner that says veritable paper d’arches. The back has a certificate of authenticity for a painter, James Gimon.

Again any info is appreciated!
    Erika

Attached Files:

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. flipper

EXCERPT:
    During this time he developed a close involvement with the Montreal artistic community which led to many years of service as director of Arts Westmount, served as an advisor to the Arts Club of Montreal and becoming a member of La Society Canadienne de l'Aquarelle (SCA). In 1986 he was awarded a Fellowship in the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada for Outstanding Achievement. Retiring in 1993, he and Betty relocated to Halifax. There James pursued his second career, in watercolour painting. In 2002 he was elected to membership in the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC).

Debora likes this.
  4. flipper

Staring at the printing on the Certificate, I could tell the last name could not be Gimon and just started playing around with what I thought I was looking at.

Debora likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Erika Ingram likes this.
  6. Erika Ingram

Erika Ingram New Member

That is great info, thank you very much I think you may be right on the name and man! I will continue to do some research for a James Girvan! Thank you so much!

7. flipper

Just click on the link I provided you with above...it is James Girvan's obituary.

Debora likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

The James M Girvan that I had a link to is not the same person as flipper's Girvan.

9. wiscbirddog

James M Girvan - born 1942.

James Sinclair Henderson Girvan - born 1926.

10. flipper

But if you read the obit you find the details of the certificate match his endeavors.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Confused by confusion. Clearly the work of James Sinclair Henderson Girvan who worked in watercolor. James M. Girvan does not. (According to his web site, he works in egg tempera and gouache.) His artistic style also does not match that of the OP's work.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted