Featured Looking for info on an antique Brass Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Paul Distefano, May 10, 2021.

1. Paul Distefano

Paul Distefano New Member

20200524_184047.jpg 20200524_092948.jpg Hi, was just wondering if anyone has any info at all on the manufacturer JJ Braze & Co. I got an old brass lamp when my aunt passed away a few years ago. Everything is original, and I think it is from the 20's or 30's. Not really sure, but that is a guess. I recently updated the wiring and plug only. Sockets also original. Figured it was safe since I am using LED bulbs in it. Cleaned up the rest...... people advised me not to polish. It came out lice..... has a little shine to it but still has the patina. Love the way it came out and am looking for an appropriate shade. I am just curious to know anything at all about the company, or the lamp. I have no intention of selling it, but am curious about its value. If anyone has any info on the company, I would really appreciate it if you could share. I can find nothing other than the fact that Braze & Co. were in NY. Thanks all....... Paul

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2021
  2. Paul Distefano

And sorry in advance for the duplicate pictures....... My first post and I must have screwed up!

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Paul, it's not uncommon for new members to have difficulties with their first post. Not a problem at all.

Debora

i need help, Bronwen and sabre123 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice wrought iron and onyx labeled floor lamp ca. 1930. An appropriately sized stained glass shade would look great and increase the value of the lamp.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

All fixed, ;) No Worries!

BoudiccaJones and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Paul Distefano

Thank you!

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  7. Paul Distefano

Yes....... I thought the base was wrought iron because of the weight. Also tested with a magnet. The rest is brass, and shiny on the inside of some of the parts. Forgive my ignorance...... but Onyx? Is that what the two balls on the stem are made of, in your opinion? I have to admit that I had no idea what they were made from. Onyx would never have crossed my mind because when I hear that term, I immediately think black! The stone on the base, I believe to be marble.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Onyx is stone; it was a popular one for clocks and other decorative bits in the Deco era. Some is green, some is dyed black, and some is "other".

I agree it needs a shade. It probably had a glass one originally, but whatever you can find that looks good is fine. Especially if you're not trying to resell it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. Ghopper1924

@Paul Distefano , I would think that the base may be quartz. And yes, as evelyb30 said, onyx comes in multiple colors, as illustrated by the balls on the stem. Part of the charm and attractiveness of the Deco era is the use of multiple rich materials.

If/when you get a shade, please repost with a picture or two.

i need help likes this.
  10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Nice lamp. Looking at the photos it appears that the stone is fairly soft. My guess is that it's travertine. Both the balls and the base. Easily shaped and nice looking.

11. Paul Distefano

I just want to say that I appreciate everyone's comments. I know ZERO about antiques and I would have never even thought of the possible materials in this lamp. But, I must say, I am finding all the comments fascinating. I can see how this could easily become an interesting study, if not an actual hobby!

Thank you all for your feedback!

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Paul Distefano & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

...& soon leap right into a full-time obsession. ;) :playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

JayBee likes this.
  13. Paul Distefano

Does anyone have any info on the manufacturer, J. J. Braze & Co.?

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

My guess is that Braze only made the base which was then used by the lamp manufacturer.

15. Iowa Jayhawk

I now think my previous post was not correct. I have found several J. J. Braze lamps listed on various sites.

judy likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Several mentioned the base is wrought iron - not so, it's cast iron. Additionally, most wrought lamps from this era are wrought mild steel, iron is usually seen in 19th c. items.

judy and Paul Distefano like this.
  17. Iowa Jayhawk

J. J. Braze was located in New York City and made a wide array of art deco lamps in the 1920's. They liked to incorporate onyx in their lamps. Not much more to be found about them.

judy and Paul Distefano like this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Good to know about the onyx. Thanks Iowa!

19. Paul Distefano

20210522_144117.jpg 20210522_144100.jpg 20210522_144034.jpg OK....... So I did some poking around online and saw some nice glass shades on sites like eBay, but I just wasn't crazy about buying something without seeing it, shipping, and the possibility of needing to ship something back if I didn't like it. Checked out a couple of flea markets, but didn't find anything. So, this weekend, the boro of Hightstown had a boro-wide yard sale. We stopped at a few and saw some really cool stuff. I got a set of chairs for a friend for only 5 bucks, a great antique 4 drawer chest that I am going to fix up next and use for tool storage, and I got this hanging chandelier, for 20.00. I just pulled the shade off and think it works with the lamp. A bit larger than I was thinking...... it is 20" wide. But, I figured we would live with this for a while and if it doesn't work for us, we will find something better, I will reinstall the socket and globe and sell it.

I think this looks pretty nice, and better than the plain shade, for sure. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2021
    lovewrens likes this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I think it looks nice. Fitting. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted