Looking for info on antique wooden chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MTswirls, Aug 27, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I inherited these beautiful chairs from my mother. Unfortunately, I have to sell them because I have no room for them and I can't afford to store them. I'm trying to learn about them. The paper towel roll in the pictures is there as a size reference. Any opinions on origin, date, type of wood, and estimated value would be very helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
    IMG_8020.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8024.jpeg
    IMG_8022.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the one with the chinese scene...I've one almost identical buried in the back of the garage.
    From my folks home in the 60's.....by the 80's my dad had it recovered in ultrasuede...which was hot then for neckties, but now has mostly disintegrated..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Any Jewelry and MTswirls like this.
  3. MTswirls

Suede is beautiful, but it seems like it requires a lot of maintenance to last. Eventually my mother had to have the left chair reupholstered because it was our chinese pugs favorite chair to nap on. Our pug was at least 25 pounds, so that chair took a beating over the years. I believe the fabric for the chair on the right with the chinese scene is original because no one was really allowed to sit on any of the living room furniture except for during holiday get togethers and special occasions.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think either are terribly old or valuable. Agree with Johnny about the right one. Probably beech with a stain on it and likely Italian in origin, though the style is French. You will often see these with American company makers but the frames were usually imported during this time period. The left one is more unusual. It is also a French style but carved in a rustic twig manner. Have not seen one quite like it. It could also be a beech import.

MTswirls likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ultrasuede is the trade name for a synthetic ultra-microfiber fabric invented in 1970 by Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for Toray Industries. In Japan it is sold under the brand name Ecsaine. It is often described as an artificial substitute for suede leather.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

left one is a louis xv faux bois bergere
    [​IMG]

right looks like a henredon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    MTswirls and Jivvy like this.
  7. MTswirls

Thanks for the info!