Looking for information about antique mantle luster

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jwheatley88, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Jwheatley88

Jwheatley88 New Member

Hello,

I was gifted this mantle luster from my grandmother who suffers from Alzheimer's. It was originally my great grandmother's who traveled from Canada extensively in the 1950s-80s, and unfortunately none of my relatives know its origin. Additionally, there is no stamp, or information on its base.

I am hoping someone in this forum can provide me with some information about its country of origin, or who may have produced it.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

No reason it cant be English . This style of item was very popular,and made by the millions,so it would take some real work to find out who .But hang on for some of our glass boardies,they often surprise me with their knowledge. :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Jwheatley88

Jwheatley88 New Member

Thanks Johnny, my initial online search indicated it to be most likely English as well, though I'm entirely uneducated in the antiques realm. I appreciate your insight, and look forward to hearing feedback from some of the other 'boardies'!

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no stamp, or information on its base.

show them in any case........

judy likes this.
  5. Jwheatley88

Jwheatley88 New Member

Perhaps, Komokwa, it will make a difference in your contribution to my search. Included is a photograph of the base.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh no, I'm no Pottie......but every Pottie here will tell you that it's always good to see the base.....marks or no marks.....because the way it';s made can tell a lot about how and where it was made ....to our experts , that is !!;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The profile of the base matches many pieces once called English, now proven to be Bohemian, ca 1890-1905. There has been a catalog reproduced by the MAG in WV showing many pages of those wares in color, all from various Bohemian producers. The catalog today would be called an importers' catalog.

8. Jwheatley88

Jwheatley88 New Member

Thank you so much, Cherryhill, your expertise is greatly appreciated :)

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That pink is typically Bohemian, I agree with @Cherryhill . Our lustres were more usually clear or at least non opaque if coloured. The enamel is also typical of 19th C Bohemian ware, as is that castle shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted