Looking for information about this artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Colin B, May 1, 2021.

1. Colin B

Colin B New Member

HI again,
    I wanted to post this as I am at a bit of a loss with the searching on line. I bought a water colour painting a few years ago and have been trying find out more about the artist. All I have to go on is that it is signed either J. Lyon or S. Lyon and dated 1930. From what I can tell its still in the original frame . Please see images for reference .. Any advice would be great to enlighten me.

Colin 1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A sweet little watercolor. I see "I. Lyon" but could be wrong. I'd think the work of a Sunday painter done while abroad. (Italy? Spain?) Dunno about frame but the matting doesn't look period. Why don't you open it up and see what's inside?

Debora

KSW likes this.
  3. Colin B

Colin B New Member

Hi Debora,
    I was thinking of removing the back, but wanted to try and find out more about the artist. To be honest i have not searched "I Lyon" I am based in England so I was thinking it was a English artist maybe .. Also I did think maybe some where in Europe . Plus post world war 2 ..

KSW likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. The surname Lyon would lead one to believe a British artist. But think you mean pre-World War II?

Debora

KSW, Aquitaine and Colin B like this.
  5. Colin B

Colin B New Member

oh yeah haha Sorry Pre not post :)

KSW and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted