Featured Looking for information on Dutch furniture pieces

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sarah Hancock, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Sarah Hancock

Sarah Hancock New Member

looking for information on this furniture. There are no identifying stamps or names. 10 individual pieces that can be arranged in various ways together or separate. 2 middle cabinets have relief carving in the doors. I believe it is Dutch/German or Holland originated and brought to the states.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This is the style of Mechelen (Malines), near Antwerp, Belgium. They traditionally use local oak, and they love these historical scenes, often reminiscent of Brueghel paintings.
    This set looks ca 1960s to me.

Mechelen is close to the border with the Netherlands, but it is in Belgium.:)

4. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the tag, judy.:kiss:

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am sure that Judy is spot-on as to origin. However, these could be a bit later. This modular furniture concept was not common here in the States until the late 70s-80s. I don't know when it became popular in Belgium.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d say 70s. Otherwise AJ nailed it.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Probably the same as just north of the border in the Netherlands, 1960s. It could have started with Danish Modernist furniture, which was hugely popular around here, and trickled down to more traditional styles.

The light wood v. the traditional dark stained wood also points to the 1960s.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    judy likes this.
  9. WoodworM

WoodworM New Member

Not dutch.

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Woodworm, this is an old thread, and the furniture has already been identified.:)

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. WoodworM

WoodworM New Member

Well.....not too many "new" threads to choose from and I found this one interesting. Therefore, I shall go on record once more and say......It's Not Dutch! ;)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why limit yourself , just to the furniture forum?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted