Looking for Information on this Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Quigs, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Quigs

Quigs New Member

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy, Quigs and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Quigs

Quigs New Member

I tried to unscrew it, but it didn't budge. I don't want to use too much force. That certainly looks like it could be her mate! I always assumed the 1920 stamped on the bottom was the year she was made.

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That shade could well be original.

Debora

5. clutteredcloset49

No, manufacturers didn't put dates per se on their items. They date coded.
    The 1920 would be a pattern/model number

judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

Good idea not to force it. I'd leave it well enough alone.

Should point out that if it was indeed an oil lamp, drilling and making it electric will have devalued it.

She's still very pretty.

judy likes this.
  7. Quigs

Quigs New Member

Could it have been made to resemble an old oil lamp? The reason I ask is that the male version has the "bowl" at the top that the oil burner sits in. Mine has a dome where the oil lamp would have sat. It doesn't look like it was added at a later time. I don't see a seam either, to indicate that it is a separate piece. Other than the gender of the figure, the details of the two lamps are remarkably similar. I looked for a long time to find anything similar, and you found a similar item in an hour. That's impressive! I really appreciate all your help.

Brian

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Anything is possible. However, my personal opinion is that yours started as an oil lamp.
    These are the oil fonts. I think there are too many similarities to say they were made by different manufacturers.
    However, they are not exact, so the method of filling the font could easily have been changed.

I commented that the male may have been her mate, but I didn't mean they were originally a matched pair. Only that they were so similar they most likely were made by the same company.

upload_2019-1-4_8-0-33.png upload_2019-1-4_8-1-56.png

9. clutteredcloset49

Draft saved Draft deleted