Featured Looking for information on this wooden statue of a woman

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BeeHaven, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BeeHaven

BeeHaven New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here and I am looking for any information on this carved statue of a woman. She was purchased at an estate sale. I am interested in where she is from, age and of course, value. One additional note, on the bottom is a sticker that says William & Robert Arnett. Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

KSW, Miscstuff, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

KSW, BeeHaven, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Paging @Any Jewelry, your assistance is definitely needed on this one!! :happy::happy::happy:

Welcome to the forum BeeHaven!! :D:D

You have definitely come to the right place.

KSW, Christmasjoy, BeeHaven and 5 others like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

KSW, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Beehaven.
    Peggy is right, your beautiful girl is Balinese Art Deco, and a stunner.
    She is taking a little break while on her way to a Hindu temple with her offering for the day. With the way she is dressed and her necklace she looks like a high caste girl.
    She is 1930s, and absolutely artist made. Not all Balinese signed there work.

[​IMG]

kyratango, Lana, KSW and 16 others like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME BeeHaven ... Your lady statue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!! .. A REAL WORK OF ART .. Joy. :):):)

KSW, Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Your wealth of knowledge always astounds me Any Jewelry. I am in awe and I always learn something from your posts. :)

KSW, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. BeeHaven

BeeHaven New Member

Thank you so much for your help! I knew that my lovely lady was beautiful and the detail work made me think she was made by a skilled artist but I had never heard of Balinese Art Deco.

What do you think the William & Robert Arnett sticker means. I read on the link from Deborah that they were collectors. Would this be a personal piece from their collection???

KSW, Aquitaine, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They both collected and dealt according to the internet.

Debora

KSW, Aquitaine, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The other sticker could have been either for the price or a collection code. It would be interesting to know if any pieces in their personal collection had similar stickers.
    The provenance is certainly a good thing to have, although this beauty would have value anyway. She has the gentle grace seen in the work of Willem Hofker, a Dutch painter who painted in Indonesia.

Hofker Balinese girls on their way to the temple:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The girl on the right is Javanese, a rare subject in those days because Javanese people didn't want to be portrayed, which is why Hofker went on to paint in Bali.
    http://zeeuwsveilinghuis.blogspot.com/2016/12/willem-gerard-hofker-1902-1981-gemblong.html

KSW, Firemandk, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

:shame::happy:
    As long as you don't learn from the spelling mistakes, one of which I only noticed today.;)

KSW, Aquitaine, judy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Stunning artwork !! ... Joy. :)

KSW, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. giotto

giotto Active Member

I know this is an older post,
    I have this interesting carved bust of an old lady,for members interest.
    Regards Giotto.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Nicely carved, Giotto, but very European. Not Balinese Art Deco.;)

kyratango, KSW, BoudiccaJones and 2 others like this.
  15. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

16. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    This is a pair of vintage carved wood busts produced at the workshop founded by the well known Swiss artist Hans Huggler-Wyss (1877 – 1947) of Brienz, the center of Swiss woodcarving.

Referencing a different artist than the example I posted above this one....

KSW, BoudiccaJones, judy and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Yes, I thought it was from Brienz, it is that kind of style and wood. Definitely not Bali Art Deco.:playful:

kyratango, KSW, BoudiccaJones and 3 others like this.
  18. giotto

giotto Active Member

Many Thanks for your comments
    You are both correct(I love the correct answers,straight away) saves me arguing for the next six months (and then to be found to be correct)
    We visited Switzerland recently and went to the Jobin woodcarving Museum in Brienz,amazing work was done there from the mid 1800s ,the pair of bust pictured above I saw in a shop in Interlaken,they had a great collection of early carving (not for sale)

My caving is signed on the back Hans Huggler 1877-1947.His father Johann Huggler (1834-1912) , (son of Kaspar Huggler -Schid 1806-1846) was probably the best woodcarver of Brienz.

My caving may have been done by Hans,he was probably the person that first did these busts (I hope it is one by him) these busts have been copied in Brienze by other carvers over the years .

Mine is in European walnut which makes it one of the better ones as linden (a much softer wood was used most of the time ,it was softer and quicker to carve .

Regards Giotto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Any Jewelry

Giotto, I just read your very personal attack on me in the Agra box thread, and know what you are trying to imply here. You were wrong there, as other members also pointed out. And as a result, you are wrong in your remark here.

I must say that I am surprised that someone who prides himself on giving correct information should post a Brienzer carving in a Bali Art Deco thread, and then top it off by making a remark like that.
    Of course you can post whatever item you like (within forum rules), it is just that I am struck by the discrepancy between your striving towards correct information on the one hand and posting incorrect items, followed by yet another (veiled) insult, on the other.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    popsycat, kyratango, KSW and 4 others like this.
  20. Christmasjoy

AJ .. YOU ARE the BEST of the BEST !!! period !! .. You give valuable information without the need to insult others and are "right on" with your knowledge. Please know that we soak up ALL that valuable info and love you !!! ... Joy. :):):)

kyratango, Any Jewelry, KSW and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted