Featured Looking for information on this wooden statue of a woman

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BeeHaven, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BeeHaven

BeeHaven New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here and I am looking for any information on this carved statue of a woman. She was purchased at an estate sale. I am interested in where she is from, age and of course, value. One additional note, on the bottom is a sticker that says William & Robert Arnett. Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Paging @Any Jewelry, your assistance is definitely needed on this one!! :happy::happy::happy:

Welcome to the forum BeeHaven!! :D:D

You have definitely come to the right place.

BeeHaven, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

judy, Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Beehaven.
    Peggy is right, your beautiful girl is Balinese Art Deco, and a stunner.
    She is taking a little break while on her way to a Hindu temple with her offering for the day. With the way she is dressed and her necklace she looks like a high caste girl.
    She is 1930s, and absolutely artist made. Not all Balinese signed there work.

[​IMG]

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME BeeHaven ... Your lady statue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!! .. A REAL WORK OF ART .. Joy. :):):)

Any Jewelry, BeeHaven and judy like this.
  7. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Active Member

Your wealth of knowledge always astounds me Any Jewelry. I am in awe and I always learn something from your posts. :)

8. BeeHaven

BeeHaven New Member

Thank you so much for your help! I knew that my lovely lady was beautiful and the detail work made me think she was made by a skilled artist but I had never heard of Balinese Art Deco.

What do you think the William & Robert Arnett sticker means. I read on the link from Deborah that they were collectors. Would this be a personal piece from their collection???

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They both collected and dealt according to the internet.

Debora

10. Any Jewelry

The other sticker could have been either for the price or a collection code. It would be interesting to know if any pieces in their personal collection had similar stickers.
    The provenance is certainly a good thing to have, although this beauty would have value anyway. She has the gentle grace seen in the work of Willem Hofker, a Dutch painter who painted in Indonesia.

Hofker Balinese girls on their way to the temple:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The girl on the right is Javanese, a rare subject in those days because Javanese people didn't want to be portrayed, which is why Hofker went on to paint in Bali.
    http://zeeuwsveilinghuis.blogspot.com/2016/12/willem-gerard-hofker-1902-1981-gemblong.html

2manybooks, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

:shame::happy:
    As long as you don't learn from the spelling mistakes, one of which I only noticed today.;)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Stunning artwork !! ... Joy. :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted