Looking for manufacture of antique wood chisel 14 x2, please help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MarthaS2, Jun 5, 2022.

1. MarthaS2

MarthaS2 New Member

This is my Great Grandfathers antique wood chisel 14” x 2”. I have searched, and I cannot locate any identifying markings on the chisel. I have searched the internet and I am Hand Chisel 14 x 2 Back Cropped_072332.jpg Hand Chisel 14 x 2 End of Chisel Cropped_072523.jpg Hand Chisel 14 x 2 Front Cropped _072356.jpg unable to find the manufacturer. Can you help me identify the manufacturer of this 100 + year old tool? Please and thank you!

Approximate Dimensions: 13 3/8” Length x 2” Width x 1” Depth

Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Possibly made by a blacksmith, so there may be no commercial manufacturer to find. Others on this board will be much more knowledgeable on old tools, so they may have a better answer. I love old tools too, especially those owned by my ancestors! - Joe

Born2it, bercrystal and MarthaS2 like this.
  3. MarthaS2

MarthaS2 New Member

Thank you for your reply! I will wait to see if anyone else has an idea, all else fails I will say it was done by a blacksmith. Thank you!

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_8113.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8112.jpeg If Blacksmith's work, a clue may be found in the socket end. Look for an obvious lap in the length of that socket, whether welded or simply rolled together. This one is 'good enough' but others can be much more finely finished. And it is, also, without a maker's mark or any other ID.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    MarthaS2 likes this.
  5. MarthaS2

MarthaS2 New Member

Thank you for the pictures and your reply! I don't see any lap in my chisel, it looks like my Great Grandfather pounded the heck out of it and jammed it in the socket. I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to find anything similar, with the rounded base of the socket, which is very unique. Thank you for your help!

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I note the socket is essentially tubular, with the closed end appearing to be spun, then welded to the tang. I surely could be Blacksmith's work in that specific. Mine is 8" to the socket, 12" overall...tapered like yours from the base of the socket to the working edge. Almost a slick, but known as a framing chisel.

MarthaS2 likes this.
  7. MarthaS2

MarthaS2 New Member

THANK YOU soooooo much!!! I am going to go with it being made by a blacksmith, and let the museum know that it is our best answer. I was trying to figure out which type of chisel it was, so you just solved my next mystery! Thank SOOOOOOO much!

Born2it and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted