Featured Looking for opinions if this is authentic Limoges

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Grateful, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

Since space is at a premium, I am trying to sort keepers from non-keepers. I recall my Mom really liked this bowl. Looking for casual opinions if it is probably authentic or not. I see lots of similar bowls on the internet.
    Measures 9.5" across & 4.5" high. Thank you, as always.

Limoges1.JPG Limoges2.JPG Limoges3.JPG Limoges4.JPG Limoges5.JPG Limoges6.JPG

Bronwen, Bakersgma and scoutshouse like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

JH could be either a decorating company that bought the Limoges blanks and did the decoration then resold them.
    Or they were a retailer that had a pattern made specifically for them to sell.

I should also have said that it is a very pretty bowl.

Bronwen, dgbjwc, Sandra and 5 others like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The configuration of the green stamp (T & V) indicates that your bowl was made by the Tressemann & Vogt Co. Limoges, France, between 1892 - 1907. The T & V company was one of the more prolific manufacturers in Limoges at that time.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

J. H. & Co. is J. H. Stouffer & Co. a decorating company in Chicago. They frequently decorated Limoges blanks. This particular mark is an early mark used 1905-1906. You have a very lovely and genuine Limoges bowl decorated here in the US by a well-respected firm.
    Don

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's only a Limoges blank and shouldn't be called Limoges.

Fid likes this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Regardless of this bowl's parentage I vote that you keep it if for nothing else it will remind you of your Mother & hopefully will make you smile. JMHO

7. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I agree! It's beautiful!

dgbjwc and Grateful like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree. It's probably more a question of how a person defines "genuine" but there are some Limoges collectors (like myself) that will only collect Pickard or Stouffer if the decorated blank is Limoges. There does need to be a distinction made between Limoges blanks only and Limoges decorated porcelain (especially when selling) but there are a few of us who collect both and regard Limoges blanks as genuine Limoges irrespective if or who decorated it.
    Don

ascot and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted