Looking for Proper Terms for Vintage Mahogany Desk/Vanity

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sparrow, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Hello, was hoping someone might be able to tell me more info about a refurbished vanity/desk? My mom is retired, but recently got into refinishing furniture as a hobby. She's not very tech savvy, and I offered to do listings for her, but i'm not sure how to describe this piece.

Would like to be able to describe the desk or vanity (is it a desk? A vanity? Both?), with appropriate period and style terms, for desk, bench and details (legs, hardware, carving).

It's a mahogany desk, with what I believe are fluted legs, that have some type of carving at the top (they resemble ribbon sashes to me, but I'm sure that's not the right description). It has 7 drawers, a curved (outward) face front, and i believe the hardware is original (was thinking it might be of some help in identifying).

Framed chalkboard is from a different piece, so not relevant.

The bench is also a separately bought item, but if there's a style for the bench, would love to know it's name. Seat is horsehair, but has been reupholstered with contemporary textiles. There is storage compartments inside the top of the bench; the seat comes off.

The exterior of the vanity/desk has been re-painted, but interior drawers are not, desk was originally the same colour. Has a label inside one of the drawers that says genuine mahogany; was able to find pictures of the same label using reverse image searches, but no pictures of what furniture they were on.

Any information would be hugely appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about furniture, and I've tried to identify details from dozens of websites, but don't want to mistake it for the wrong thing.

I would also greatly welcome suggestions for books you've found to be good for identifying furniture styles, as she has about 10 other pieces finished, and another dozen in the works. There's so many books on Amazon, I don't know where to start. Thanks so much! Resized_20220925_154722.jpeg Resized_20220925_155748.jpeg Resized_20220925_154744.jpeg Resized_20220925_154927.jpeg Resized_20220925_154938.jpeg

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Sparrow

I'm not a furniture guy, but it would be helpful to show more pics of the piece such as, the inside of drawers, the joinery on the drawers, the back, etc.

Also, since this is an international forum, providing your general location in the world is appreciated.

I'll tag a couple of people who may be able to help:

@verybrad
    @Ghopper1924

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

As one of the six or seven people in the world who still like "brown" furniture, the reference to mahogany initially made me Very nervous. Fortunately, Not solid.

However, let me compliment your mother -- HUGELY! The piece is beautifully painted, and in exactly the right colors.

The two gentlemen referred to by Sabre are both immensely knowledgeable, and will give you all kinds of information that I can't, but as someone who uses furniture where it works for me...could be a desk (had one myself, very similar), could be a vanity (my mother had one with a huge triple mirror), or, one could branch out and use it as a bar (center section embellished by a wine rack, crystal decanters on top on a silver tray. I'll stop now. But I could go on!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1920s give or take and I agree your mother did an amazing job !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it is probably a bit later... circa 1940. It is a take on a Sheraton desk with some classical elements. I would call the columns reeded. The stool is from a sewing machine console set. Top storage is for thread, etc.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

As verybrad noted, it fits comfortably within the early-mid-20th century classical (Sheraton) cannon; one might also say that the bowed drawer fronts show a late Art Deco influence. Agree on the 1940s as a date.

It's a sewing table in the form of a kneehole desk. In addition to reeded, one might call the columns engaged (although not strictly accurate, since that usually happens superimposed against a flat surface) and fluted. In the place of column capitals are swags held up at each corner by roundels. The drawers have ring pulls with bosses in the center.

Your mom did a great job painting, but like @silverbell I'm a brown furniture fanatic, especially with hardwoods like mahogany. Here's hoping that your mom doesn't paint over any higher-end hardwood pieces: that brown wood is part of the design and is meant to me seen!

sabre123, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  7. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Thank you all so much for the very helpful terms and identifying information!

Our personal leanings are towards stained furniture, but some of her first pieces were bespoke requests, so the colours were within the purview of that. Almost everything she finds is from thrift stores, garage sales, and Habitat for Humanity, for around $40-60. Because of that, most of it requires a lot of sanding/resurfacing, filling in of dents with wood putty, replacing hardware, etc., so I don't think any of it is particularly unique or a high end antique.

She did a lot of French Provincial in the beginning, as it's plentiful and usually doesn't cost as much, but she does try to repair and re-stain if something is in fair condition.

Neither of us are very knowledgeable about proper terms and identifying period styles. I'm usually great with research (my professional background is in Medieval and Renaissance History), but furniture is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I really can't thank you enough for all your help and expertise. You're a lovely bunch! I've attached a few pictures of some of her other pieces she's sold. Also, thank you for the compliments! I will pass them along- I obviously think she's amazing, but I'm her daughter and she says I'm biased, so I know it will make her day to hear that you guys think so too!

8. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not normally a fan of painting old furniture, but your mama does a very nice job. As you say, none of the pieces are wildly special to start: mama does them with sympathy and they end up looking much better.

I've just, otoh, watched a damn vandal on a BBC afternoon programme take an 1820s glorious card table with reeded tripod legs, brass feet and CUT IT UP. All it needed was new edge veneer. Heathen.

10. silverbell

There's a show on American TV on which the furniture people typically paint their goodies in the color du jour. Eggplant, for instance. Or lime green. (Occasionally both together) Bletch!!

Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Here, they wallpaper them. There are no words.

12. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

It's a very faddish thing stateside to chalk paint everything in sight- her stained pieces are usually the last to go, and the painted ones the first. Both of our houses are filled with some really beautiful pieces she's re-surfaced and re-stained, which I would take any day over a brightly painted one.

Her first few pieces were little French Provincial nightstands in homemade chalk paint, and she got quite a few requests from people who asked her to contact them if she could find another, or custom paint one they already had. One of them wanted it in a garishly bright turquoise, and another one wanted it in metallic silver (absolutely awful). Mom grumbled the whole time she was working on that one!

I try to encourage her, bc i know she enjoys doing it, and it gets her a little pin money, although I don't think she charges near enough for how much time and effort she puts in. I'm a bit of a bibliophile, and even the higher priced new bookcases I've bought buckle under the weight of all my book. She's refinished some older ones for me, and I'm always amazed by the quality of them. They really don't make furniture like that anymore.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is the state of the market in most places here in the US. I spent many years restoring antiques and swore I would never paint furniture. Given the market, I finally broke down and painted for several years. I am now retired and glad I no longer have to do this to make a living. Have to say while I did that I could buy cheaper and, consequently make better profit, even if at lower price points. As they say, This too shall pass. I can hope that all the good antique furniture that was spared the paintbrush will become all that more valuable once back in fashion.

14. silverbell

This column reminds me of the kitchen wallpaper in a house we bought years ago. There was nothing wrong with it, and the colors were pleasing...BUT! The pattern was of berries & leaves pictured in four inch squares, and every one named and printed.

It drove me crazy! I will read anything put in front of me: medicine labels, instructions to blowing up tires, how to build a birdhouse, old etiquette books, how to make kim chee (yuck: :yuck::yuck:), the interminable credit rolls at the end of movies...etc. It got so that I began mumbling through my breakfast about blueberries, raspberries, loganberries, on and on. My husband gently suggested that I find a new paper -- before HE went crazy.

Ghopper1924, Sparrow and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

As others have said,Im usually not a fan of painted furniture but your mother has an impeccable eye and all her pieces are lovely !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I thought I was the only one who did that. I never leave the house without at least one or two books, but there have been times when I left them in the car and found myself desperately searching for CPR instruction posters, and department of health certificates, just to have something to read while in line.

silverbell and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted