Looking for some help identifying maker of sapphire blue scroll flask.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lva483, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Howdy,
    I'm pretty green when it comes to identifying glass... I'm looking for some help with this sapphire blue historical scroll flask. It measures slightly over 7" and is 5" wide. The stars are lacking definition, the glass itself is kinda crude "bubble" glass that almost sparkles in the light. I think the piece is hand blown although there is no rough pontil mark and there are what looks like three letters and/or numbers starting with the letter G or C. Can anyone offer some insight on this? Thanks so much!
    1.jpg 8.jpg 5.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

4. Bronwen

Your cobalt 'scroll flask' may be worth some money, if this line from Peachridge is correct:

While aqua is the most commonly found color by far, other brilliant colors (greens, ambers, blues) are not infrequently encountered and fetch top dollar by collectors.

Lva483 likes this.
  5. Bronwen

He uses 'sapphire' & see text under photo'
    ]'
    ]'
    ]'
    (Sorry, cat typing)

[​IMG]
    Window shot of my 1/2 pint scrolls. No, the GIX-41 is not sapphire, I could only wish..the lighting hints at it being that color though doesn’t it? Just a deep mid-western aqua – Mike Stephano

6. Bronwen

:facepalm:
    sapphire blue scroll flask.

Bet you've been through this stuff already. Well, for others. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

antidiem and Lva483 like this.
  7. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Thank you so much for all of these leads, it's very helpful and I'm supper appreciative!!! I did browse some previous auction results on LiveAuctioneers and eBay, but it's just made things more confusing... Next up is looking at the Peach Ridge Glass site. Thanks again!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

There are reproductions too ...be careful!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like a Weaton or a Clevenger repo. May have the letters CB stands for Clevenger Brothers.

PortableTreasures, Lva483 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

I looked through some images of Weaton and they seem to have a more molded or finished rim then the one I have. Now, Clevenger Brothers gets a little tricky for me to tell as I can’t find anything with marks similar to mine. After looking at the one I have mode, I really think it’s the letter G followed by two numbers- possibly numbers, they are really small and faint in general.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m going to keep digging away and to continue looking closely at the Clevenger Bros.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

The size is right for a Variety 1 scroll flask by Clevenger which was a repo of a GX-10

12. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Thank you! Cool pic by the way, I ride too! Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  13. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Here are some additional pics of the bottom... Again, thanks everyone for the leads and all the help! IMG_2267.jpg IMG_2271.jpg IMG_2275.JPG

Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  14. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Finally pulled out one of my Clevenger scrolls for comparison, I would almost say 99.99% that yours is a Clevenger.
    100_0006.JPG 100_0005.JPG

Lva483 likes this.
  15. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Thank you so much for your help and taking the time to send a photo of an example. I'm totally convinced you're right and this is made by Clevenger, the marks on the bottom are very, very similar. Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted