Featured Looking for some help with a bench please!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Dom26, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Dom26

Dom26 New Member

Hi, am a new member here.

I regularly re-do old furniture and in general work a lot with wood. I've recently picked up a bench which I was about to sell on eBay but I think it is very unique so I was wondering if anyone could help in shedding some light on it; date, origin + weather it may be of any significant value? Should I continue to flog it on eBay or take it to a dealer?

From what I have found out (which is quite little): the legs are turned bobbin legs, which were common arounds 1870 and it is apparently very uncommon to have turned bobbin legs on a bench.

It may also be worth noting that there really is no particularly skilled joinery in this piece but it seems very unique and pretty none the less. I'm fascinated by antique furniture but know nothing about what is valuable so greatly appreciate the help!

P7210354m.jpg P7210368m.jpg
    P7210377m.jpg

2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

I know that I really like this !!!!!

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I wonder if it has been cut down from a sideboard; the extra pieces from the legs then attached to the top.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Just curious but . . . what are the measurements (length, height, and depth) of the bench?

5. Dom26

Dom26 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, yea I really like it too, kind of want an excuse to keep it!

Steve funny you say that. The handles were loose so I had to take them apart, clean up the joint and reglue. Interestingly, on the right side one of the pieces joining the handles to the top of the bench is different from the others but the wood appeared consistent with the rest of the piece. Perhaps this piece is a patchwork/recycled?

Picture of the one different piece between the handle and bench top:

P7210373m.jpg

The overal dimensions are: height:47cm (18.5"), Width: 106.5cm (42"), Depth: 25.5cm (10")
    Height to bench top: 40.5cm (16")

I also for got to mention I am based in UK; I guess this may be important for the origin of the piece.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Dom26, thank you for the dimensions. I have a few thoughts about the size/dimensions, but I'll wait to see what others think.

I'm sure others will be responding and they will know exactly what its "intended use" is. ;)

Dom26 and KingofThings like this.
  7. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

may we see pictures of the underside please..would like to see construction..thanks

is the wood yew?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this was made from an old parts. Turnings are probably from an old spool bed.

Dom26, Aquitaine, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  9. Dom26

Dom26 New Member

Here are some photos of the underside:
    P7220380.jpg
    P7220382.jpg
    P7220384.jpg

Im not sure on the species of wood; perhaps someone can identify from the underside? as it seems only to have a finish of clear wax there.
    Yew seems possible as the wood seems too soft to be ash and the wood looks nothing like oak, sapele, or mahogany which is what I tend to come across most. I'm sure someone else will know more than me though.

I can't believe theres so much to this piece!

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome and that's pretty cool!

lloyd249 likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Someone had a GREAT IDEA!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Dom26 and KingofThings like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Created, pieced together, spool bed....whatever!!!! I LOVE this piece!!!! You'd have a tough time prying it out of my "cold, dead hands"!!!!!!!:smug::smug::smug::smug::happy: Oh, and WELCOME, Dom!!!

Dom26, KingofThings and bobsyouruncle like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Sorry for the double post.........it didn't show up for 33 minutes and I naturally thought I didn't hit "post"...........my BAD :bag::bag::bag:!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Dom26

Dom26 New Member

Apologies for the late reply.

Thanks so much for all the kind comments! It looks as though most people have decided the piece is an old spool bed turned bench then? I would never have thought it.

My next decision is weather to take it to an antiques dealer or to auction it off on eBay, I'm not sure what is best. Does anyone have any advice on this??

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Dom -

Unless you're limiting eBay to local pickup only, I can imagine that shipping this would be quite a pain - and expensive.

Dom26 likes this.
  16. Dom26

Dom26 New Member

Thanks SBSVC, yes very true I will have to check out courier costs first.

Thanks very much again everyone for all the info!

17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I want it too! :(

18. Aquitaine

Hey!!!!! Bookah!!!!! I got MY want in FIRST!!!!!:smug::smug::smug::smug::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted