Featured Looking for some information!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rick k, May 9, 2020.

1. Rick k

Rick k New Member

20200509_124623.jpg Hello all, I am looking to see if anyone has an idea of the era of this buffet? Also its missing the ornament piece that went along the top back of the buffet. Is there a person who can make one or has one? Thank you!

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. Rick k

Rick k New Member

Thank you

komokwa, i need help and sabre123 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Rick:

1940s, very nice flame mahogany veneer. If you've looking for a gallery/backsplash for your buffet, you might want to keep an eye out at auctions and yard sales around where you live. Unfortunately, there is not much demand for these pieces, and you may be able to buy one from somebody or even buy the whole piece just for the backsplash. Failing that, any good woodworker should be able to fashion one for you. Just take a couple of screenshots of buffets from E-Bay and show them the picture. Also, there should be screw holes on the back showing where the gallery used to be; that should help as well.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

20s-40s mahogany American buffet. Styling is somewhat Sheraton but not pure in design.

6. Rick k

Rick k New Member

Would it be terrible if I painted it nice and put a butcher block top and use as an island in my kitchen?

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not the worst thing ever but a shame to lose that nice flame mahogany.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not terrible....but I wonder if it would hold up to the use an island would receive?

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lovely veneer. See the guys have already id'd it.

It would be a shame to paint the veneer, you will never be able to get it back. Stripping the paint at a later date will most likely cause the veneer to separate.

If you want to use it for an island. I would use Howard's Restor-A-Finish (Mahogany).
    Have a counter top of some kind made to lay across the top.
    Put something in between the sideboard top and the new countertop, like felt, cardboard something to protect the original top.
    I'm sure that you can find a way to anchor the new top without putting too many holes in the sideboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted