Looking to identify a very large sliding glass door hutch (1900s Amish maybe Shaker?)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by lizk, May 17, 2021.

1. lizk

lizk New Member

I believe it is Amish/Shaker from upstate NY early 1900s maybe? I really don't know and am basing that off of the person I bought it from. I replaced the upper drawer pulls some time ago but still have the original wood pulls it came with. I'm curious if anyone has seen something like this before and can tell me the region/time frame it was built. It has blown glass panels which is what makes me think it is older despite the drawers not being dovetail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Mid to late 19th century, country piece. Doubt it is shaker which is a whole other class of furniture. Could be Amish but that doesn't necessarily add to the provenance. Glass may be hand rolled but certainly not blown, which gives a bulls-eye effect.

Does it break in to two pieces? Somehow the top does not seem as old as the base.

lizk likes this.
  3. lizk

lizk New Member

It does break into two pieces. The base has a ledge that holds the top in place - you can see that in the second picture. It's entirely possible that the top was made later! So interesting. Would this kind of item have a makers mark somewhere? I've searched but can't find one.

4. lizk

lizk New Member

I definitely think you are right about the top now that I look more closely. It has phillips head screws and the base only has nails or flathead screws.

verybrad likes this.
  5. lizk

lizk New Member

I wanted to make sure you saw my reply! I'm new to this forum :)

verybrad likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

verybrad and lizk like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone found the old base and had the top made. Bet it holds a ton.

lizk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted