Looking to identify Artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Sheridan, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Sheridan

Sheridan New Member

I bought this painting years ago. It has the artist signature in red on the bottom right corner "Edwin." It also has the words "Thank you" written under the owl in the painting. Can anyone help identify this artist? It looks to be an older painting. The canvas is 36x24
    IMG_4277.jpg IMG_4369.jpg IMG_4369.jpg IMG_4371.jpg IMG_4278.jpg IMG_4279.jpg IMG_4372.jpg

anundverkaufen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That has all the signs (fancy frame, stapled canvas, red paint signature) of being a Chinese factory painting. Have you done a Google Images search to see if you can identify an original or its inspiration?

Debora

Sheridan and Anouchka FG like this.
  3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Possibly implies Sir Edwin Landseer, but be aware that his works are heavily reproduced (painted, not just prints).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Sheridan likes this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Signature looks signed in marker not paint. A red flag for me when I see that.

Sheridan likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Thank You" is written in a modern hand as well.

Debora

Sheridan likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What I think I find interesting is, if you look carefully UNDER the "W" in 'Edwin', you will see a very tiny signature or initials.....possibly the 'true artist' who couldn't resist signing his/her work???????????

REAL SIG.jpg

Sheridan likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Sheridan

Sheridan New Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There we go. Wonder what it really reads under the owl's claw.

Debora

10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I can't quite make out what it says, but I can see that it isn't "Thank you".

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, not exactly the first words that would come to a 17th century Dutch artist's brush.

Debora

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted