Featured Looking to Identity and age this matching chair and settee

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Hubcity, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Hubcity

Hubcity New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This pair were restored about 20 years ago, I remember my sister telling me that the fellow doing the restoring offered to buy them from her: She doesn't remember the information that he gave her. They belonged to my Aunt, she remembered that her parents picked them up from the Imperial Hotel in Edmonton AB. around 1920. It was stuffed with horse hair. Thank you in advance.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They are mahogany empire revival from about 1910. Part of a parlor set. Someone did a nice job of refinishing these.

Aquitaine and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. Hubcity

Hubcity New Member

Thanks verybrad, I remember them hanging from the rafters in my Dads garage the finish was pretty much gone and the upholstery nearly all gone. My sister saw something that made her want to restore them. I was pretty envious when I saw them refinished, she now wants to part with them(down sizing) so I am doing a little researh, as I would love to have them in my home.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you're sister has an eye...and good taste...

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The fabric is proper with the age which is nice. Many times people use modern fabrics.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. TaraUnnie

TaraUnnie New Member

Yes and sometimes also paint it white or pastel, maybe with a 'distressed' finish. Don't get me started on 'shabby chic' and 'renovating' and 'updating' old furniture....

7. TaraUnnie

TaraUnnie New Member

It looks to be 1915-20s late Chippendale style settee. Really nice set with likely original material.

Here are some examples I found but aren't as nice as yours (in my opinion).
    The third one is a late Victorian chippendale to show contrast between them and how the style was simplified.

Attached Files:

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted