Lost in the deep dark Wedgwood(s) and production in far east.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, May 3, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

So.. some of you may remember in around 2008-2009 they announced that the wedgwood production would be moved to Indonesia for the most part, except the blue-and-white jasperware.

I just bought a new Wedgwood tea set (sweet plum) and in all the pieces the bar code sticker says: "Made in United Kingdom"

Why?

Are some products still made there or are these perhaps from the time before 2009 or whenever the change of production happened?

They don't say "Made in" anything in the bottom of the pieces, just like the Indonesian ones, I've heard.

Of course I love the fact that they weren't made outside Europe but I'm just confused.
    The Wedgwood website only gives some round no-answer answers about the countries of origin of their current production.

Help

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think your pieces were made before 2009. I hear that the entire Wedgwood factory closed down and even the blue is made by someone else.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
    greg

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's tragic really. I just recently learned that Wedgwood (and Waterford, Royal Albert, Royal Doulton and Royal Copenhagen) are currently owned by the Finnish company Fiskars which further explains why the production is moved to the cheap countries, all their other brand's products are made in the east too.

4. gregsglass

Hi,
    Royal Copenhagen too??? I used to love to go to the factory there and browse the "seconds". I got some wonderful pieces there cheap. My favorite were two very large mantle jars with covers. The "firsts" were over a thousand a pair. I got a pair for 20 bucks. One had a tiny extra glaze mark in the bottom edge the other had a very tiny glaze skip on the lid. I had them for years until I had to downsize and sold them for 2 grand.
    greg

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

MANNNNN! 2k!!!!

It does seem that the soul of an item is absent when it's made someplace or in some manner different from its heritage.

EDIT
    Lost in the Wedgewoods... good one, Mr. Moon!

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I too would be very disappointed if that is true about Royal Copenhagen being made outside of Denmark. I will treasure even more greatly the few pieces I have now.

7. gregsglass

Hi Gila,
    They were 3 foot tall and very detailed.
    greg

Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Me too.. I have only 3. Three different mint condition wall plates from the "Portraits of old Copenhagen" series.. which I bought for 5$ each.

Screenshot_2016-05-03-22-50-56 - Edited.png

10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It is claimed, in that article, that quality will be exactly the same......

I wonder if the new pieces will be marked Thailand.

I am not familiar with your attractive plates.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I doubt it. Wedgwood ones aren't.

Someone could go to a store and find out.

It was a plate series that came out in the 1970s (and probably the only timeless and beautiful thing that was made that decade.. well probably not the only)

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Many companies relocate to avoid taxes as well. I won't say here what I think of that!

Brenda Anna likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it says Made in England, then it is. It's stunningly illegal here to put incorrect origins.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  15. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I had a set of Pfaltzgraff everyday stoneware, made in the USA, for years. When I visited their outlet store to replace several pieces, I learned that my pattern, which I had been assured would always be in stock, had been discontinued. So I bought a new set in a different pattern. Not long after buying them, I had a plate split in the microwave. They replaced it, free of charge. When the second plate did the same thing, I became suspicious. Sure enough, my pattern was not made in the USA, but in Thailand. Superior craftsmanship, my patootie. :mad:

16. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

My parents collected Jasperware, partly because the beautiful craftsmanship was a reminder of a country they both loved. If it's true that Jasperware is being made elsewhere, Mom and Dad are turning in their graves. :-(

Draft saved Draft deleted