Louis XV chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bethan McFadden, May 22, 2018.

1. Bethan McFadden

Bethan McFadden New Member

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could please tell me if this looks like an authentic Louis XV chair? My parents were given the chair by a nunnery in Normandy in France, when the nunnery/nunnery-run care home sadly was closed down. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The style is called fauteuil (for what that's worth). It's based on rococo chairs, but I don't think it's period (could easily be wrong). There are people here who know much more about furniture than I.

Photos of the bottom and of the joinery will help.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not of the period. But a very nice, good quality chair. Others will be able to pinpoint the exact period, especially with more photos, as mos suggested.
    It would certainly have been called fauteuil in the nunnery, since it is French for chair.;)

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Fauteuil is a specific type of chair. Without arms, it would simply be a chaise. If the sides were upholstered, rather than open, it would be a bergere. There are a lot of variations, a lot of names.

5. Bethan McFadden

Thank you! Here are a couple of photos of the bottom. The sack cloth was obviously disintegrating as someone has stapled new material over the top, so I've pulled a bit back so you can see.

Attached Files:

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that it is not period. Think late 19th to early 20th century.

Bethan McFadden likes this.
  7. Bethan McFadden

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Draft saved Draft deleted