Featured Love Old Machines

Discussion in 'Tools' started by springfld.arsenal, Sep 3, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Here’s the latest old machine to enter the Hoarditorium, think I already mentioned it but now I’m getting into the details. Even the lube instruction plate is kinda cool, etched and painted, you don’t see that kind of work on things made these days. I thought the Cincinnati No. 2 vertical mill was made in the 1950’s at first but running down the serial number, the C in it means it was made in the 3rd year of production of this model, 1933. I’m told that most all machine tools in use in 1941 were run 24/7 during WWII, so there are probably a lot of hours on it, but it was still in use when I bought it at a machine shop auction in PA. There are a couple of broken handles that will be relatively easy to fix, and as soon as an electrician installs the 480-volt distribution, I’ll run it.

93A3F022-1548-460A-BAF4-145D0121380C.jpeg
    1159B460-956F-495F-84F5-F88F4C2B30B7.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW, WE WOULD NEVER HAVE GUESSED YOU WERE IN LOVE WITH OLD MACHINES !!!!!!! WHAT A SURPRISE ! KissyFace.jpg p.s.........It's cute!!!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Toy alert! What's it do, besides suck up time, energy and $$$$?

Aquitaine, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

enjoy your new machine !! :happy:

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

Well this cost me zakly $12., but then there was a 13% premium and the rigging costs for 5 machines incl that 7200 lb. one.

Yeah they can be fun, sometimes when cutting they make neat noises like a Flash Gordon rocket ship (Bzzzzzzz.).

Milling machines work just like your rotary lawn mower ‘cept yer cuttin’ metal not grass.

Here’s another Cincinnati mill, larger than mine, mowing some of that shiny grass.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some guys need one of these to shave with in the morning!

pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My husband's great-grandfather had a company that made those brass plaques that you see on old machines. Your's is newer, but it's the same idea.

springfld.arsenal likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

Few more machines came in today, I had to go get them with a rented trailer. Both “big” machines were made by Brown and Sharp (sp?) of Providence, RI. The horizontal mill in rear of trailer was originally owned by Yellin Ironworks of NY. The cylindrical grinder in front came from Martin Aircraft Co., as did the four cast-steel bar stock racks. A small machine with four legs is a Famco “kick press.”

8E5CBDA3-6011-44C2-AAED-5869B626A55D.jpeg

8E1DBFD2-E1F2-4F4B-812D-2B8E6BD2E8F7.jpeg

judy likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yellin was a wonderful wrought iron maker. His company expanded and became the Yellin Ironworks. Some of his wrought iron pieces are in museums all over the East coast. My old church sold one of his iron candlesticks for over 50 grand.
    greg

judy likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

$50k for one candlestick! Church musta been yellin’ about that!

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The worst was they had two but one got knocked over and broke. The church staff then threw it away. They had no idea of value back then. The candlestick was 6 ft tall. The church had 6 large bronze candlesticks which they did not know was bronze so every year for Easter they spray painted it gold to make them look pretty. They also had silver sterling candlesticks which tarnished but they thought were plated and so they were sprayed with silver paint every Easter also. God bless them but they had no idea of what they had. When I joined I was so stunned to see such treasures that they had and did not know about. I walked the church many times the winter I moved there and thought the church was abandoned. One summer morning I heard music and the front doors were open. I stuck my head in and was so amazed at what I saw. I stayed for the service and as I was leaving the Priest stopped me and said he knew I would be back. I said "Father I work three Sundays in a row and the fourth I go away for the weekend. He then prayed over my head and said he would see me next Sunday. I thought he was a bit weird but left. The next day my boss left work and never returned. The hospital offered me his job a few days later. Was it a sign or something else? To this day I can not explain it. The next Sunday I was in the church again. The Priest said I told you so. We need you here and you have arrived.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted