Featured Lovely late 18th c Embroidery/Needlework

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by laura9797, Mar 19, 2019.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I just picked up IMG_8825 (349x450).jpg georgian2.jpg georgian3.jpg georgian.jpg a lovely late 18th c Georgian pastoral scene and would like some more information on the type of needlework. It looks like a form of embroidery and stumpwork but I might not be correct. There is a painted background which is likely oil unless gouache exhibits craquelle? This work is definitely out of my wheelhouse so any information would be great. Thanks so much for looking!

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Could you take some additional pictures in better light? And multiple close ups of different sections. The first pic is too small to really see anything and the other pictures too dark (at least for me).

If you can take pics outside, that's usually the easiest "good" light.

Bronwen, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  3. Jivvy

Is the back of the work exposed? If already exposed, would love to see it.

4. laura9797

Thanks Jivvy, the back is completely sealed. I tried to upload the photos I took in natural light yesterday but I am getting an error that they are too large!

Bronwen, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  5. laura9797

6. laura9797

7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

If they are on your phone - email them to yourself as a size medium. If they are on your computer, you should be able to right click and see a list that includes resize. Resize to medium. Hope this helps. Ooops. You were faster than me.

Bronwen, Aquitaine, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. laura9797

9. laura9797

10. laura9797

11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wonderful piece!
    I collected some of these years ago, but I'm in no way an expert:bucktooth:
    It seems the material thread is either wool or cotton, not silk.
    I can recognize satin stich on the dresses and tree trunk, stem and chain stiches on the lines and French/Peking knots on the sheeps fur and some places to add texture.
    I think the back ground is oil painting, because of the crackles and the wrinkles between the two person's heads.
    Maybe @Poisonivy can add more precisions about it :)

Bronwen, Any Jewelry, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

WOW! Love it!

I agree with @kyratango on the oil medium...

Bronwen, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  13. laura9797

Yes I figured it had to be oil. I just couldn't remember is gouache would craquelle like that.

Bronwen, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. Jivvy

A late voice for oil (I waited until Mr. Jivvy was about as he knows way more about paints than I do). Interesting because oil is not the usual choice.

I suspect the threads are silk, just under a lot of dirt. Or that may just be photo illusions -- the trees look absolutely filthy, but the closeup with red robe, not so.

Not sure there is anything that qualifies as stump work, but you have it in hand. Then again, I don't see knots either (even in the sheep), so it may be my eyes. :joyful:

laura9797, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. Jivvy

Oh, and I should add -- love it, want it. :hilarious:

laura9797, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Gouache can develop craqueleur, but not generally flexible enough to slump like
    @kyratango 's example.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. Jivvy

I was looking for other examples with oil and stumbled on this piece titled "Damon and Phoebe" which led to the poem by John Cunningham called "Damon and Phillis(Phyllis)". (The piece I found is not oil, it just came up when I was searching.)

The following embroidery piece is more obviously related to the poem (because of the woman placing a wreath on the man's head), but I do find myself wondering if your piece is also about this poem.

DAMON AND PHYLLIS poem: https://www.poetrynook.com/poem/damon-and-phyllis

temp01.jpg

From http://www.witneyantiques.com/silkpictures/silkpictures2.php

Maybe @Bronwen would have some thoughts on the characters.

kyratango, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Laura.
    Just hi-jacking that, I think they are Jacob and Rachel at the well. Biblical.

kyratango, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  19. Jivvy

Probably a better thought!

But I do like the idea of the third figure being Phyllis catching them out and about. :joyful:

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have thoughts but no answers.

Can't discount artistic license, but, although in some ways the scene fits the story of the first meeting of Rachel & Jacob, there are significant ways in which it does not. It is Rachel who comes to the well with her flock, not Jacob. An important part of the story has to do with the difficulty of opening up the well so the sheep can drink; this spring presents no such problems. I can make no connections with Damon, Phyllis, Colin & Phoebe.

They certainly do appear very smitten with one another. Until reading AJ's observation, my reaction was that the figures are styled as mythical ancient Greeks. All the old tales are full of shepherds (who frequently turn out to be princes):

http://www.arts.magic-nation.co.uk/shep8.htm

and Romantic poetry is full of similar imagery.

I don't know enough of these literary sources to spot them in art, so have to work through this one applying the classical mythology & Biblical stories I do know. She does not appear to be a shepherdess. I don't see any attributes to identify her as a particular goddess but she is very well dressed & coifed, bearing a staff rather than a shepherd's crook. She also lacks any type of vessel for transporting it back home if she is there to draw water, rather than just stopping by. The outline of the usual goddess/mortal story is that the goddess becomes infatuated with some rustic hunk who is resistant to her charms. This looks mutual.

Can't nail this one, just offer this interesting site to go with Jivvy's:

http://www.antiquesamplers.com/silkpict/index.html

laura9797, Any Jewelry, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted