Loveseat/ settee, purchased as an antique 50 years ago in Philadelphia. Style, age, wood, value?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Wazzit, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Someone knows what this is?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2016.
  1. Queen Anne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Oak

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wazzit

Wazzit New Member

Loveseat.jpg

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Not Queen Anne and not oak. Possibly Edwardian revival C. 1910 and possibly satinwood.

Not that I am a furniture expert, someone will be along.

Wazzit likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is an early 20th century mish-mash of styles. Some Queen Anne, some Empire, with some Victorian embellishments. Probably was part of a parlor set. Wood looks like it is probably birch with a stain in it. Was likely originally darker than this. I am assuming this is American. If not, AF's Edwardian moniker would fit and he would probably know the wood better than I.

4. Wazzit

Wazzit New Member

No wonder I couldn't find anything quite like it!

5. Wazzit

Wazzit New Member

This probably (HORRORS) refinished by my mother.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Honestly , I like it better with a lighter finish . These are so run of the mill and not terribly rare , so I doubt she affected the value much .

7. Wazzit

Wazzit New Member

Sounds like not much value to begin with for my run of the mill mish mosh but I like it.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Perhaps "run of the mill" wasnt the term I was looking for . I just meant there are a LOT of these type of things out there.It is a lovely piece .

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that the lighter finish really doesn't hurt this as it isn't really a fine antique. It is nicer than many I see and the upholstery is a nice neutral compliment. I particularly like the carving detail at the back corners. Still not a lot of value to this, as it is not in fashion these days. Here in semi-rural Midwest, I could see top dollar at $350.00 in a nice shop. Most places, it would be significantly less and I would think at auction under $100.00 most places. In large cities or other places where formal furniture is still in vogue, I could see this being a bit higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted