Lyceum Fridericianum Kassel gold medal Information Review and Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by George Chaney, May 23, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

So as I noted, I have been super busy on our new homestead but today is a rain day so in my office dealing with some display cabinets I purchased a number of month ago. Pulled this out to display (this was part of a box lot of items I bought at auction) and given it is European was hoping someone from the area might have more information on this than I was able to acquire.

The details I found (which may be incorrect.....so... here you go)

Medal is testing 18K gold, trace silver and the balance copper. Acid tested on the various scratches someone else put in the medal 20220523_172304.jpg 20220523_172358.jpg 20220523_172413.jpg 20220523_172442.jpg 20220523_172609.jpg 20220523_172700.jpg 20220523_172311.jpg 20220523_172322.jpg with no reaction from the acid. Also tested with a Niton XRF gun.

The medal is in latin and says Grati Qvot Svpersvnt Discipvll. MDCCCXLVII. Carolo LVD. Richtero Lycei Cassell. Rectori. Nat. MDCCXXXVII. DENAT. MDCCCII

A silver and bronze version of this medal are referenced in a book written by Jacob Christoph Carl Hoffmeister Google Translated as: Historical-Critical Description of all Hessian Munzen Medals and Brands that have become known so far in Genealogical Chronological Consequence Vol 2 Reference numbers in the book are 3050 & 3054. There is no reference in this book to a gold version of this medal at the time the book was published in 1857.

There is a name and date written on the back of the medal case. I am not sure who the person is, can't seem to find any detail

All help on this would be greatly appreciated!

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The first side you showed translates to
    "How many students remain grateful" which must be a reference to the Lyseum (school) Kassell on the other side.

bercrystal and BoudiccaJones like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The other side refers to Charles Richter, Rector of the Lyceum Cassell.

bercrystal and BoudiccaJones like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe a retirement gift?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrichsgymnasium_Kassel

The Friedrichsgymnasium was founded in 1779 as Lyceum Fridericianum by Landgrave Friedrich II, under the directorship of Johann Jakob Pfeiffer. It is the oldest gymnasium in Kassel. The school is known to foster its history and is proud of its status of being the alma mater of the two most influential 19th century German linguists, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, and the early 20th century German ruler, Kaiser Wilhelm II.

George Chaney likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The back date is 1847 if that helps any. It may be some sort of lifetime achievement medal or retirement gift.

6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I did some searching and all I found was what appears to be your listing for the item

7. George Chaney

Yes, that is correct. I purchased this before I started hanging out here and thought I would reach out to see if anyone with deeper experience in medals might be able to shed some additional light on it. Most of what I gathered was from very limited information I could find online relative to the school.

Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  8. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

No wonder you’re asking for help! This is a hard one!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've found some sterling ones here and there. Not many. Some bronze. No gold. Not saying it couldn't happen.

10. George Chaney

Yes, I'd almost prefer having a solid silver one as there is references for that. Very frustrating as a re-seller as it really is hard to present an item like this for sale without knowing the history.

Draft saved Draft deleted